Need help planning my front bed

bocron(z7a GA)May 7, 2008

I have been trying to come up with a plan for the bed directly in front of my house. I ripped out the foundation plantings about 3 years ago since they were all leggy and tipping over trying to get some sunlight. The bed is about 9 feet deep and 20 feet wide and is a half oval shape. The three feet closest to the house is total shade since it is the north side of the house the remaining 5-6 feet starts the day in shade and ends up in sun by noon or so. I have a couple of ferns that are planted that my husband really likes so would like to keep them, the creeping jenny can stay or go, but I get tons of compliments on it.

Here's a pic of the whole front to get an idea of the scale, the area in question is to the left of the front stoop.

Closer pic, notice the shade line. Pic taken at about 1:30pm

View from front stoop,

Any ideas? I would like to keep low growing plants, maybe more hostas in pots? My other option would be to just put a seating area there, bench and table or something in and amongst the creeping jenny with potted plants around?

Thanks all,

Annette

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bocron(z7a GA)

Oops,don't know if it matters, but I am in Alpharetta, GA (Milton) just north of Atlanta.
I posted this in the design forum and got some great suggestions, and they also recommended I post here.

Annette

Bookmark   May 7, 2008 at 9:12AM
Bumblebeez SC Zone 7

This is a slow forum. Post in the Georgia forum.

Bookmark   May 7, 2008 at 11:19AM
bocron(z7a GA)

Will do.
Thanks,
Annette

Bookmark   May 7, 2008 at 2:11PM
chickadee_42us(8a Tx)

Love your home and the colors. Your beds look great too!

Bookmark   May 8, 2008 at 3:52PM
donnabaskets(Zone 8a, Central MS)

I would mix some Cast Iron Plant (Aspidistra) in with those ferns. It is the perfect height under those windows, is evergreen, and looks beautiful with ferns. Easy to grow in deep shade, too. You could also look for some purple leaved plants to mix in to the creeping Jenny. Maybe loropetalum, Purple Pixie (two feet by two feet). It is also evergreen. Your home is lovely.

Bookmark   May 12, 2008 at 10:18PM
louisianagal(z7bMS)

just wanted to say I wonder if anyone other than a southerner would know the word 'stoop.' love it. haven't heard that word in a while. in new orleans everyone had a front stoop.
i also love your green shutters and hardware, looks like what i had in louisiana, built custom from cypress.
your house is lovely. i think daylillies would look great there and maybe some sage. even herbs. if it gets georgia sun after 12 noon, i think that is plenty sun. carpet roses. you would need a contrasting color from the yellow so i think red roses or lillies or purple sage. you can keep the pretty ferns and put the other flowers in clumps so as not to totally obstruct the background. a bench would also be nice. mexican heather is pretty too and low growing, with small purple flowers. we grew in louisiana and mom grows on gulf coast but not sure it would be perennial in atlanta area.
your place is gorgeous.
laurie

Bookmark   May 14, 2008 at 11:46PM
More Discussions
Sugar Cane
Is there a preferred time of year in planting it? What,...
greenepastures
Windbreak, Privacy Screen, City Lot, Wet Feet
Hello - I need some ideas for what to do along the...
Tryska D
Home soil testing kits
Are there any good ones out there?.
420benz
How to care for new sod - Hibernation
Hello, As of this second, I have a team of people putting...
thom71gt
Rooting Lantana?
I've had success rooting many things, but not sure...
msjacki
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™