first time with sfg... need some guaranteed success

kmharrellFebruary 18, 2013

I have a roof terrace and raise a few things every year (a lot of tomatos, strawberries, etc). All in containers. It is hot (there is some cover for plants) and I have a watering system. However, I am trying to get my 11 year old more involved. I need a few things that will get her more excited. So we have two 3'x3' containers, ordered the SFG book, out of the following, what would be the most likely to really produce: watermelon (or other melons), strawberries, red pepper and carrots. Any other things that would do really well (and we can't mess up?)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lgteacher(SCal)

Watermelon can be a little difficult. Carrots are pretty easy to grow, as are strawberries, as long as they don't get dried out. Bok choy grows fast in the spring, but doesn't do well in the heat of summer. Broccoli is also good for spring. Green beans are super easy and produce a lot if you get the plain green(Kentucky wonder) type. I tried the colored ones, but they didn't produce many beans.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Square Foot Garden

Bookmark   February 19, 2013 at 2:48PM
sjkly

snow peas for early spring, really prolific and hard to mess up and you can plant them pretty densley-they won't last all summer but when its time to pull them there will be plenty of time to plant another crop of something else, preferably seedlings started indoors.

Bookmark   March 13, 2013 at 3:53PM
gardener_mary(6 MA)

Lettuces are easy to grow, come in many shapes and colors, grow very well in a container and you can start picking small leaves in just 3-4 weeks. Cucumbers and green beans are fairly easy to grow if you have a frame for them to grow up.

I think that the most important part is that your 11 year old like eating what ever they grow, if they wont go near a radish it will not matter that it is very easy to grow.

Good Gardening, Mary

Bookmark   April 7, 2013 at 12:56PM
More Discussions
Corn in sfg-how deep do roots need to grow?
My sfg is only 4x4. I plan this season, only using...
growingup
Mel's Mix versus 100% Compost
Hello all, I am starting some boxes for growing. I...
bsntech
2nd year of SFG: what to do?
Hi all, 2nd year of SFG. Last year was 3, 4x4 beds....
Anthony
Lateral space for dripline irrigation in square foot garden?
Hello! I'm pretty new to square foot gardening and...
poppenschmaltz
First attempt at squire foot gardening
Hey everyone! I would like to thank this forum for...
citrusweekendwarrior
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™