Okra in Flowerbeds

geotect(7bNC)May 25, 2007

I'm going to try some 'Burgundy' Okra in the flowerbed by my mailbox this summer and wondered if anyone has advice on growing okra as an ornamental. How long will the plants last? I know I must harvest continually to keep the plant producing, but since the pods are very ornamental I want to leave them on as long as possible. What's the maximum length I should let the pods grow? I know some commercial growers cut the plants completely back when yields drop and let them grow again. I'm toying with the idea of cutting every other one back when they're young to have alternating plants in the same stand. Is that getting way too complicated?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
agnespuffin

Is that a strictly ornamental variety or can you eat it too? If you can cut it for food, you would want to cut it when the tips are still bendable. Your idea of just cutting a few sounds good to me. I didn't know that would keep them bearing.

Bookmark   May 27, 2007 at 10:56AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
davidandkasie(Z8 MS)

for my okra that we eat, we pick every other day to every 3rd day, depending on how well they are producing. any longer than that and the pods are too hard to eat. i had okra from May-October last year. As a matter of a fact, my plants now have several pods that will be ready for picking today or tomorrow at the latest.

yes, picking the pods will encourage new blooms. if you want it purely for looks, then pick maybe half the pods at a time. just enough to keep both pods and blooms on it at all times.

Bookmark   May 30, 2007 at 10:21AM
More Discussions
invasion of something on my coleus
I have 18 coleus in pots They have been great but......
optiwench
Identifying Mushrooms On Oak Log
We have some creamy colored disc type mushrooms growing...
Savannagirl
Windbreak, Privacy Screen, City Lot, Wet Feet
Hello - I need some ideas for what to do along the...
Tryska D
privacy screen HELP!
My lovely country/cottage garden style yard and porch...
inbloominalabama
Epsom salt on plants
I heard that Epsom salts are good for plants and vegatables....
angel123
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™