Colorfull flowers under a covered patio

peavley(z8La.)November 14, 2006

Hello,

My wife and I were going to put a window box under a window which is located beneath a patio cover. There is no direct sunlight at this spot. Is there anything colorfull that we can plant in this thing?

Also I was wondering what are some small potted plants that I could put in my office which has no windows. Or is that a stupid question being that there are no windows?

Thank Yall

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
socks

You could check at your local nursery to see what they offer at this time of year as far as shade plants. Maybe begonias. Not sure about cyclamen; they might need some sun. Maybe impatiens.

As for your office, houseplants which do well in low light might work for that space. You could ask on the house plant forum for suggestions. Pothos seem to do well anywhere. I think having plants in the office, especially one without windows, is a great thing to do.

Bookmark   November 21, 2006 at 10:21AM
knottyceltic(S/W Ontario 5b)

I don't grow these kinds of flowers but my parents have a very large covered deck and they grow impatiens, begonias, ferns, hostas and geraniums. Of course most of them are grown either hanging at the edge of the roof or on tables or shelves which sit 'near' the edge of the deck so they 'do' get some indirect sunlight but those are a few you could try. If you don't have tables or shelving don't spend a lot of money... have fun at yard sales, second hand stores and antique shops to see if you can find a good bargain that you can spray paint to your liking.

Barb

Bookmark   January 8, 2007 at 5:35PM
omniphasic(9 Ca)

This time of the year we are very limited with options for shade,but you will find English Primroses,Cyclamen,and Violas.Mix these with colorful leaved ivy for your planter box and they will fill out nicely.
When Spring arrives you will have many other options,including Torenias,Impatiens,Coleus,and Begonias.

Bookmark   January 9, 2007 at 6:47PM
terpguy(7)

For the office, your best bet will be pothos as suggested, aglaonemas (aglos), and snake plant (sansevaria/mother in laws tongue)

Bookmark   February 10, 2007 at 11:41PM
More Discussions
Heavy shade, raised bed, shallow soil ideas?
I'm looking for ideas for a planted area at a commercial...
comarley
Alternative for Drift Roses?
I love drift roses, which are essentially dwarf, bushy...
trclac
My shade plant order just came in!
I ordered from Park Seed's perrenial sale and my plants...
posierosie_zone7a__
Dividing some shade plants
Hi all! I have several out of control giant epimedium...
CEFreeman
Can anyone tell me what this shade loving plant is?
A very close family member gave me a cutting to this...
stickstring (Northern California 8b)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™