N-S OR E-W Trellis orientation

OldfoxFebruary 24, 2011

I have a wide open area where my boxes are. I'm going to put up some trellises for tomatoes and others. I'm thinking with a N-S orientation the tomatoes will get the sun from both the east and the west. Is this orientation better than across the north end of the boxes? What say you trellis gurus?

Thanks OB

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
amberroses(10a)

Mel's book says N-S is better to catch the sun all day and not overshadow the other plants. On the other hand I see you are from Florida, like me, and in Florida a little shade from the western sun is not a bad thing at all. This is my first year really trying a trellis so I am not sure.

Bookmark   February 24, 2011 at 5:51PM
commgardener11

If the beds run N-S, where do the trellis' or tallest plants go to prevent shadowing other plants?

Bookmark   February 25, 2011 at 7:03PM
susancol(7 Atlanta)

If your goal is to not shade out other plants in your garden, then run the trellis along the north side of the garden running East-West.

If no other plants will be shaded, and your goal is to get equal amounts of sun on each tomato plant, run the trellis North-South. If this is the case, as one poster noted, a little shade on the western side of the trellis may help to prevent the hot late afternoon sun to cause any issues.

Hope that helps!
Susan

Bookmark   February 28, 2011 at 2:25PM
engineeredgarden(7, nw Alabama)

Due to the topography of our property (and limited available space for a garden)mine run sw/ne and do surprisingly well. If a person were to connect all of my trellises end to end, the entire thing would be about 50 feet long, and average about 6 feet tall. With all of that said, i've defied every last recommendation that Mel's book suggests for trellises out of necessity, and prevailed....just my two cents..

Here is a link that might be useful: Where it all takes place

Bookmark   February 28, 2011 at 3:04PM
More Discussions
Onion spacing- 16/sq ft vs. Dixondale recommendation
Dixondale farms suggests 4" between onions, and...
mmqchdygg
I'd like to try SFG like this....(see pic)
I'd like to try SFG in a 55 gallon drum like the one...
farmless_barn
Skinny yam harvest
Hi everyone, If anyone can share some wisdom about...
ashita
First attempt at squire foot gardening
Hey everyone! I would like to thank this forum for...
citrusweekendwarrior
Weed Barrier
I was excited to find this forum. I started dabbling...
mtnrunner
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™