Evergreen shrub 2 to 3 feet high for shade and part sun

karmaflower78(7)May 6, 2014

Hello everyone..... I have a question about shrubs for the front of my house and what kind I should get? I'm looking for a evergreen shrub that that will take part shade and some sun and that grows 2 to 3 feet high.... I had azaleas there but they did not do so well I think because they didn't get enough sun.. I live in North Carolina and I believe my planting zone is 7.... Does anybody have any suggestions? Thank you :-)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Azaleas do best in high shade or dappled sun.....maybe something else is going on in that location. I'd evaluate the soil type, drainage, pH, etc. If something like that has created problems for the azaleas, other kinds of plants might have problems, too.

Bookmark   May 8, 2014 at 2:45PM
karmaflower78(7)

yes I had those planted for about two years and they were beautiful, I think maybe what happened is it was just too cold.. I will check the soil like you said though... Thank you :-)

Bookmark   May 8, 2014 at 4:21PM
donnabaskets(Zone 8a, Central MS)

My go to shrubs for those conditions are dwarf nandinas or boxwoods. A soil test first will save time and money in the long run, though.

Bookmark   May 10, 2014 at 3:55PM
topsiebeezelbub(z7 Al)

There are camelias that grow low and wide. Plum yew has a nice evergreen foliage. Indian Hawthorne is pretty, comes in pink or white. Gardenias are always heavenly, but yes...check your soil...perhaps the azaleas got too much mulch and leaves piled upon the stems,they will rot or suffocate...plant them high. Boxwood leaf miner is becoming a big problem, so I'd hesitate to plant them.

Bookmark   May 17, 2014 at 1:26AM
More Discussions
what does not (won't) grow in the south
This post is for FUTURE reference. I live in northern...
kawaiineko_gardener
Sugar Cane
Is there a preferred time of year in planting it? What,...
greenepastures
Leland Cypress screen planting?
I want to plant a Leland Cypress privacy screen. There...
wendyb_2007
Identifying Mushrooms On Oak Log
We have some creamy colored disc type mushrooms growing...
Savannagirl
Edgeworthia chrysantha
Hello, I have recently bought and planted a Edgeworthia...
sfcrumley
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™