Lg. Trees for shade garden

luchiaan(5a)December 31, 2007

Need help selecting trees. I'm starting from scratch with an approx 60' X 75' open area, gently sloped from north to south. Current southern border is 4 Austrian pine (7' tall). One Autumn Blaze Maple (15') on eastern edge, one Yoshino Cherry (10') in NW corner. I'm looking for 2 lg. trees that -paired with smaller trees/lg shrubs- will provide good shade for a cool woodland atmosphere. Three sides (E,W,S) will be planted with either hedge, evergreen or latticed pergola walkway w/wisteria to keep down wind and winter damage. North edge is partially blocked by a building. Considered oak, but don't want acorns. Considered Sugar maple, but want to underplant. Already had bad experience with Ash and high winds. Any good lg. tree ideas for creating semi-dense shade with 10' space underneath in 20yrs or so? I'm willing to wait if it's the right tree. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
waplummer(Z5 NY)

If you don't like acorns, I presume you would not want hickory, beech or any other nut tree, although you are going to havea lot of pine cones and sammaras from the maple. There are some trees that are dioaceous (sp?). Find a male of the species and you won't get any fruit or nut production

Bookmark   January 3, 2008 at 7:31PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
razorback33(z7)

Check the Sourwood, Oxydendrum arboreum
Small tree, when compared to some Oaks and Maples, but has outstanding fall color and spring flowers.
Rb

Here is a link that might be useful: Sourwood Tree

Bookmark   January 4, 2008 at 11:01PM
More Discussions
North side of the house
Hello I am about to built a house which would have...
saoodhashim
I search worsleya rayneri
Hello i search Worsleya raynery seed .....i offer many...
ghitasima
what plant is this?
hi can anyone tell me what plant this is? thanks
Helen Percival
Dividing some shade plants
Hi all! I have several out of control giant epimedium...
CEFreeman
darmera peltata and astilboides tabulara
I have 7 bare root big leaved plants to plant (four...
mulchie
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™