"Little Gem" Southern Magnolia

flexwebberDecember 9, 2013

Going to plant two Little Gem Southern Magnolias in the backyard. Any tips, suggestions, comments? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
agardenstateof_mind

Very complete and interesting information given by Trees USA (linked below), a Texas wholesaler, which information seems to be in agreement with article from Florida U. Extension. Important to read down to the bottom, cultural requirements ... their root system is surprisingly extensive!

That being said, I have two magnolia grandiflora "Bracken's Brown Beauty" that I planted about five years ago without benefit of these instructions and they have established well and are doing very nicely with no pest or disease problems so far. They are growing Monmouth County in a sandy soil amended with compost and mulched with shredded oak leaves. Growing in full sun half the day, dappled shade the rest, they seem to require little supplemental watering now that they are established. Occasional judicious removal of some leaves here and there provides beautiful accents for floral arrangements and my Christmas wreath, without affecting the trees' appearance.

If they are right for the site, I think you will find these southern magnolias a wonderful addition to your landscape.

Here is a link that might be useful: Magnolia 'Little Gem'

Bookmark   December 9, 2013 at 11:43AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
flexwebber

Thanks, that was a very good article. The site I'm going to plant them in has some clay soil and is a little wet. I'm planning on amending a lot of the soil with compost and adding some Hollytone since they seem to love acid soil. Good info about the root system....I'm going to have to keep that in mind.

Bookmark   December 9, 2013 at 6:08PM
More Discussions
petasite japonicus giganteus
hi there, i was wondering if any of you knew of a website...
andreajoy
Dividing some shade plants
Hi all! I have several out of control giant epimedium...
CEFreeman
Carmelia Stem Dying Back
My camelia is dying back. Stem became woody and dry...
WTWO
Starting a shade garden in central Maryland
I have started to read the forum regularly, so I thought...
LaVidaMd
Mystery Plant
I am looking to identify this plant. It has filled...
GardenMomma11
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™