Cutleaf Lilac

petra_gwMay 2, 2005

Has anyone here tried this variety?

"The Lilac for the South"

According to Mike Schnelle, horticulturist at Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, the cutleaf lilac (Syringa laciniata) is unfortunately underutilized in the South, where it performs exceptionally well. This species thrives in high temperatures; it is suited to Hardiness Zone 8 (as well as all cooler zones up through 4), and should be given full sun. Powdery mildew is less of a problem for the cutleaf lilac than for many other lilac species.

Reference: Mike Schnelle, "Syringa laciniata: Heat-Tolerant Cutleaf is the Lilac for the South," Nursery Management & Production 16 (3), March 2000, 14. (Branch-Smith Publishing, 120 St. Louis Ave., Fort Worth, TX 76104.)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
razorback33(z7)

Have one that I rescued from a friend's compost heap about 35 years ago and it's still growing stong, despite some trials and tribulations. First was planted in the sun and then became fully shaded by a growing Magnolia grandiflora and bent over to an oblique angle, trying to reach the sunlight. No blooms of course. Moved to a location near the property line about 17 years ago. Some 10 years later, the neighbor, a grass & evergreen necklace "gardener", thinking it was a dreaded privet, cut it almost to the ground. It recovered rapidly and blooms every spring. Flowers aren't as showy as some of the species/cultivars that are available, but it does withstand our hot, humid summers. As your post mentioned, have never had a mildew problem.
Rb

Bookmark   May 4, 2005 at 5:34PM
ElizabethO(8b/9a SE TX)

So are you going to get one?

Bookmark   May 14, 2005 at 11:31PM
petra_gw

RB, are the flowers fragrant?

Elizabeth, I don't know if we are going to get one. They seem to be hard to find.

Bookmark   May 15, 2005 at 12:11PM
More Discussions
Lilac for the South
Wayside has a lilac in their catalog which they say...
Joeray
New home landscaping
My husband and I will be moving into our new home next...
Ladyb319
Leland Cypress screen planting?
I want to plant a Leland Cypress privacy screen. There...
wendyb_2007
Windbreak, Privacy Screen, City Lot, Wet Feet
Hello - I need some ideas for what to do along the...
Tryska D
Very hard pruning of big boxwoods?
I know this has been discussed before, but I just can't...
topsiebeezelbub
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™