Evergreen screening

aukumar(7)May 8, 2012

I had planted a dozen Thuja Green Giants 3yrs ago along the property border line in urban setting thinking they would be elegant screening for my backyard. They sustained two winters and one summer (2010). They hardly grew 2ft. But last summer (2011) they all perished due the the N Texas heat. I do not want to take chances again with these trees.

From my backyard, I can see the interstate freeway traffic. I am considering Nellie R Stevens holly for screening and want them to be at least 8ft tall in 2 yrs. I may need to plant them in a row along the fence 85ft long. I guess I need at least 9 such trees. Can someone from the forum suggest the best time to plant them and where I can buy them (at least 4 ft tall) in N TX area?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
esh_ga

I would post this question in the Texas forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: Texas

Bookmark   May 11, 2012 at 11:45AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aukumar(7)

Thanks to all for the valuable contributions and suggestions. I much appreciate that.
Japanese Ligustrum looks highly invasive. I have these next to the A/C unit. This may be a promising one.
Mackel, I did not quite understand the monoculture. Are you suggesting to have different species of screening plants? When mature, the screen would look odd, I believe. I will try to post some pics of the landscape soon.
In Richardson and Flowermound, I have seen Red Tip Phutonia in hedges about 15ft tall. Thats promising, but looks are bland. I feel Nellie (Illex) Holly is better than RTP.
On the same note, Rhus virens (Sumac) looks more like a tree. I aint sure if we can prune and train it to be a screening shrub of 12-15ft tall. I guess the mature height for Sumac is only 8ft. Pl advise.
Can you pl suggest nurseries which sells these shrubs/ small trees on retail at best prices? I need to screen a fence line for a length of about 80Ft. I am at cross-roads.
Thanks to all of you for valuable inputs.

Bookmark   May 15, 2012 at 4:18PM
More Discussions
mimosa pruning
I was given a 1 yr old potted mimosa and planted in...
Diane_Warneke
Home soil testing kits
Are there any good ones out there?.
420benz
My avocado tree is not doing good
I bought this choquette tree from a nursery in Florida...
xdxproxdx
How to care for new sod - Hibernation
Hello, As of this second, I have a team of people putting...
thom71gt
Leggy Aspidistra
I have large Aspidistras that sat for several years...
pbatlanta1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™