Gardenia leaves turning yellow

fak005May 5, 2013

Hello, I leave in DFW Texas and I have a Gerdenia planted in partly shaded area. Some of the leaves are turning yellow, I see moderate new leaf growth. I have applied miracle grow fertilizer with no help. Please suggest what I can do to prevent the leaves from yellowing and trigger new growth. I have posted the pics, do you think it will help to apply Azalea fertilizer rich to make soil acidic or any other suggestions

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

After living with one in this yard for 6 years and watching how they behave around the neighborhood, it seems they just do that, shed older leaves sometimes. Doesn't affect the bloom show. No fertilizer I've ever tried does as much for plants as a little homemade compost. For blooming shrubs, putting a banana peel at the base can have amazing results. Put near the base, under the mulch a bit to keep fruit flies off of it.

Could you add a pic showing the whole shrub? After it blooms, you may want to thin some of the twigs or even some larger branches for more air flow, and to instigate a growth spurt.

Bookmark   May 7, 2013 at 11:01AM
More Discussions
what does not (won't) grow in the south
This post is for FUTURE reference. I live in northern...
kawaiineko_gardener
I had frost?
I'm in upstate SC, I had frost this morning in several...
plantnut65
Beautiful Ideas for Oak Savanna
Anyone have any ideas of things to add to an Oak Savanna...
Savannagirl
HELP with horsetail fern
I think it is Equisetum hyemale. My husband planted...
beagardner
Rooting Lantana?
I've had success rooting many things, but not sure...
msjacki
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™