Blight/disease on shrubbery (PICTURES)

BillyC9999999May 22, 2011

Hi All,

I know little about foliage, but some strange blight/disease is killing all of my home's hedges.

The blight is comprised of tiny, white rod-like growths that cover the plant's leaves and branches, killing it.

Any ideas what it may be from the enclosed photos? Any way to turn this situation around, or are my shrubs terminal?

Thanks!

-Bill

Here is a link that might be useful:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dottie_in_charlotte(z7-8 NC)

Billy, grab that cluster of leaves into a ziploc bag and bring it to your local nursery. Is it leucothoe or euonymous?
I had this years ago on a manhattan euonymous in an area where the sunlight was blocked and the air circulation was bad.
The yard guys sprayed it with a sulfur preparation and after the leaf drop it recovered the next year. Important to remove the dropped leaves and treat the soil where they dropped as well.

Bookmark   May 23, 2011 at 10:56AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Looks like the dreaded euonymus scale insect. VERY common to this plant. Yours appears to be a very bad infestation, judging from the one picture you've attached.

Many people would suggest that these shrubs be 1)pruned all the way to the ground so that you can start all over again with insect-free growth. Of course, you'll have to fight this scale for the rest of your days. 2) Remove the euonymus and replace with something else. Euonymus is simply highly susceptible to this particular insect.

Remember, this is an insect and not a disease. No spraying with a fungicide; no treatment of soil, etc.

Do some 'googling' about Euonymus scale and you'll find many websites detailing your options. Hopefully, you'll visit your extension office with a sample. Local nurseries may or may not be staffed with knowledgeable folks.

Bookmark   May 24, 2011 at 6:21AM
More Discussions
Leland Cypress screen planting?
I want to plant a Leland Cypress privacy screen. There...
wendyb_2007
New home privacy landscaping ideas?
We are building a house in Tallahassee and need suggestions...
memorr
Beware of mail order scam - House of Wesley
There is a mail order nursery company based in Bloomington,...
chicago90
Beautiful Ideas for Oak Savanna
Anyone have any ideas of things to add to an Oak Savanna...
Savannagirl
desert rose
Can anyone tell me how to care for a desert rose? My...
margyrose
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™