Anybody know how to root 'Million Bells?'

katiecrosby(8a/almost/bSC)May 16, 2005

Can anybody tell me how to root Million Bells? I haven't had any luck so far!!

Any help would be appreciated!

K

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

It would be helpful if you told us the methods you have already tried. This is a plant that is only produced by cuttings, by the way, so let's figure out what you are doing wrong.

Bookmark   May 16, 2005 at 10:24PM
katiecrosby(8a/almost/bSC)

I tried sticking 2-3 inch cuttings in potting soil and just covering them with a cut-off soda bottle (like I do my lantana), and i tried putting them in water (like I do with Pothos and Wandering Jew). In both cases, they just wilted and died. BTW, I am real novice at this gardening thing, only having done it for 3 seasons. I guess there is a more precise method with these lovely little plants. Yes, please tell me! Thanks, rhizo_1!

Bookmark   May 17, 2005 at 6:47PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Attached is a link regarding the rooting of Calibrachoa (Million Bells). It's geared for commercial growers, I believe that you could take cuttings any time if you remove and keep pinching any flowers from the stems.

After you gently insert your cuttings into the pre-made hole, be sure to water it in well to insure water-to-tissue contact. I never cover my cuttings. Leave in a bright but not sunny location and keep the soil fairly moist during the rooting process. Of course, your potting medium must be very well draining.

Here is a link that might be useful: Calibrachoa (Million Bells)

Bookmark   May 18, 2005 at 11:35AM
katiecrosby(8a/almost/bSC)

Thanks a "MILLION," Dorie! I can't wait to start tomorrow, as I have the morning off and expect mild and pleasant weather. I'll keep you posted on the progress.
Katie

Bookmark   May 18, 2005 at 9:18PM
Dieter2NC(z7b NC)

I cant keep mine from suckering up. Patience will provide a great many new shrubs.

Bookmark   May 23, 2005 at 11:34AM
JamesY40(z7a)

My neighbor planted some last year, and not only did they survive the winter, they are spreading all over the place. Beautiful ground cover.

James

Bookmark   May 26, 2005 at 3:17PM
Shiann(Lower Alabama)

I had some in hanging baskets that were about to bust free - I just took a machete & chopped the root sections into smaller parts & they seem to be doing fine. Seems that you need a small section of root to get them off to a good start. (But you should have seen the look on the cops face as he drove by & saw me hacking away at something with that machete - the pot was just out of his view... hehehe!!)

Bookmark   June 8, 2005 at 7:36PM
imadabbla(8)

I take it from these posts that you can overwinter Million Bells??? That's great news! They have some beautiful hanging baskets of these at a nursery in Montgomery that I wanted to buy but I don't want to waste money on flowers that are going to just go away like my petunias have every year.

Bookmark   June 8, 2005 at 10:00PM
jbearden4571_charter_net

Can these overwinter in the greenhouse or basement?

Bookmark   February 1, 2008 at 9:50AM
ivamae(ONT)

What are the leaves like on this plant. I bought a hanging basket and am trying to figure out what it is. The flower looks very much like the Million Bells pics but the leaves are more like purslane.

Bookmark   June 30, 2010 at 9:15PM
More Discussions
what does not (won't) grow in the south
This post is for FUTURE reference. I live in northern...
kawaiineko_gardener
Sugar Cane
Is there a preferred time of year in planting it? What,...
greenepastures
Epsom salt on plants
I heard that Epsom salts are good for plants and vegatables....
angel123
Retail Garden Center Dall./Ft.Worth area??
Hi all. I'm new to this area of the site and I hope...
leelee7
Home soil testing kits
Are there any good ones out there?.
420benz
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™