Live Oak and Swimming Pools

iceflowMay 1, 2008

Folks,

I have a pool with two live oaks nearby. One is about 12 feet from pool edge to trunk, the other is about 18 ft pool edge to trunk. The trees are about 30 ft + tall.

Question: Has anyone ever had any bad experiences with roots causing problems in the pool? eg: Puncturing the pool wall.

The pool is gunite structure and everything looks fine, the coping and pebble concrete suuround is all looking good. I just look at those trees and wonder.....should I be investing in a root barrier maybe?

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bullthistle

You shouldn't because oaks normally have tap roots, which go straight down, but I am not certain about live oaks. You might want to check with an local arborist to make sure.

Here is a link that might be useful: Propagating Perennials

Bookmark   May 1, 2008 at 10:38PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

The existance of tap roots continues to be one of the persistant myths about trees.

Some trees 'may' have tap roots (especially when young), but the primary (essential to the plant) part of the root system consists of wide spreading, fibrous, and shallow growth. Live Oaks, in particular, devote most of their root system to an area of soil not much deeper than 12 inches. 6 inches is normal.

Those oaks are quite close to your pool, considering that the root system will extend many times beyond the reach of the canopy.

Bookmark   May 2, 2008 at 1:45PM
tsmith2579(7B)

Even if the roots don't invade the pool, I would be afraid they would crack the concrete apron around it. Live oak roots grow large and run along the surface. They may grow under and swell up under the concrete pation area.

Bookmark   June 25, 2008 at 11:12PM
gatormomx2(9a)

Here is a very interesting link to an excellent Live Oak description . Check it out .

The link :http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ST564

"Be sure that adequate soil space is given to Live Oak. Although roots will grow under curbs and sidewalks when planted in confined soil spaces allowing the tree to thrive in urban sites, in time, they lift sidewalks, curbs and driveways. This may be a small price to pay for the bountiful shade cast by a row of healthy trees."

Bookmark   June 30, 2008 at 8:01PM
blkthum

If it is sprouting new shoots by the pool, well, get home owners insurance that can help fix the pool, if you dont have it already, which you should if you own, then leave the tree be. If it does rip into the pool, the moisture stress will kill it anyway.

Bookmark   March 29, 2013 at 6:11PM
More Discussions
New home landscaping
My husband and I will be moving into our new home next...
Ladyb319
Fine garden April issue, no southeast pics
Why not? Steve aitken Why no southeast pics?
josephene_gw
Home soil testing kits
Are there any good ones out there?.
420benz
what does not (won't) grow in the south
This post is for FUTURE reference. I live in northern...
kawaiineko_gardener
New home privacy landscaping ideas?
We are building a house in Tallahassee and need suggestions...
memorr
Sponsored Products
Blue Triggerfish Mat
$159.00 | FRONTGATE
Darts Game Pillow
Grandin Road
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Fireside Patio Mats Rugs Melting Glacier Blue 6 ft. x 9
$54.99 | Home Depot
Duck Covers Covers Elite 76 in. Square Patio Table and Chair Set Cover with
$79.95 | Home Depot
Safavieh Contemporary Light Grey/Anthracite Indoor Outdoor Rug (6'7 x 9'6)
Overstock.com
Peer Chaise Outdoor Patio Set of 2 in Brown Red
$558.00 | LexMod
Clara 60-inch Outdoor Beige Bench Cushion Made with Sunbrella
Overstock.com
Boat House Blue Rectangle: 5 Ft. x 8 Ft. Rectangle Indoor/Outdoor Rug
$399.00 | Bellacor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™