Cutting Garden Plant Suggestions

fivemurfs(6.5 TN)May 27, 2011

Hi,

I have a big yard with sun and shade locations. I'd like to maximize this space with flowers, trees, shrubs that are good for cutting. It would be great to be able to walk out in my yard in January and have something beautiful to bring in the house.

Any plant suggestions will be appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
thunderkitten

Well I'm not an expert LOL, but I live in your zone. I'm not sure there is anything you can find to bring in during the winter months, unless you like holly/coniferous things to decorate with! I suggest early blooming bulbs like tulips, daffodils, and hyacinths. Not only do they come out first but they smell like spring. I also have a good amount roses around my yard, when the tulips have stopped blooming the roses usually start. A bushy rose like knock-outs are hardy and bloom practically until the first frost in my experience.

Bookmark   May 28, 2011 at 3:25PM
louisianagal(z7bMS)

I live in zone 7b. You can grow forsythia but it will bloom later, but can be forced indoors earlier. Also nandina is beautiful in winter. Camellias can bloom fall to spring, depending on type - sasanqua or japonica, one is more cold hardy but I can't remember which. Hellebores bloom in winter. It seems like I had some old flower heads of oakleaf hydrangea and limelight hydrangea. Tulips and daffs are great too.

Bookmark   May 31, 2011 at 6:16PM
Brad Edwards

Annual cuttings I like the most are Sweet potato vine, green and black. I have recently gotten coleus and I think its amazing, especially if you dead head it. I also like purple heart. All 3 of those varieties can have cuttings taken from them and placed in water, but all 3 wont do well during a freeze so you'd have to take them inside for winter and reroot every year, but they do spread profusely.

Bookmark   June 1, 2011 at 12:04PM
More Discussions
Leggy Aspidistra
I have large Aspidistras that sat for several years...
pbatlanta1
Home soil testing kits
Are there any good ones out there?.
420benz
privacy screen HELP!
My lovely country/cottage garden style yard and porch...
inbloominalabama
HELP with horsetail fern
I think it is Equisetum hyemale. My husband planted...
beagardner
Dicentra...
My bleeding hearts are sending up buds. Dh told me...
Crazymommy
Sponsored Products
Cactus! Hors-D'oeuvre Tray by Alessi
$260.00 | Lumens
Designers Fountain 84104 Bradley 4 Light Bath Bar in Charcoal Finish - 84104-CHA
$538.00 | Hayneedle
Cal Lighting Tiffany Slope 1-light Antique Brass Accent Lamp
Overstock.com
Marseille French Gold Twenty-Four Light Chandelier with Golden Teak/Smoky Royal
Bellacor
Set of Two Cordless White Garden Window Swags
Grandin Road
Shell napkin ring - antique gold set/12
Origin Crafts
Stainless Steel Chopper
Overstock.com
Pizza Rocker