Black Magic elephant ears

bamacrazy(8b Mobile, AL)May 15, 2006

Can anyone share info on this plant? I would like to grow them, but have a few questions. How likly is it that pets will eat them? Do they multiply? How quickly will they grow? Any special care other than lots of water? Thanks in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greenelbows1(z9--so LA)

They want lots of food as well as water, and full sun. They grow fairly rapidly once the weather gets consistently hot--much as I love these nights in the fifties, they'll do better when they're in the sixties. I want to add, some people are really negative about elephant ears because SOME of them spread and are hard to get rid of (I have some of those too, so I sort of understand) Black Magic is a clumper and while the clump will get bigger I don't think it would ever be a problem, especially since your friends will want every offset you can pry loose from mama--and they can pry loose from you!

Bookmark   May 16, 2006 at 3:01AM
lizlovesflowers

I grow Black Magic around a little fish pool. It gets really big, but it doesn't seem to be too aggressive. Pests are much of a problem. I do give away a lot of it, though.

Bookmark   May 27, 2006 at 1:31PM
the_virginian(Zone 7 NoVA)

My BMs even overwinter here with some mulch. I really like them as they give good color contrast to the tropical beds I am planting. Like the hardy banana, Musa Basjoo, they love to be fed and watered. My dogs leave them alone for the most part.

Bookmark   May 30, 2006 at 12:41PM
tiarella(7b)

You can take root cuttings if you want but they will take 2 years to develop. I have to bring mine indoors for the winter in NJ. They do fine in a sunny window but will sunburn if you put them out right in blazing sun. Need to aclimate gradually to amount to sunlight. 2 weeks in part shade 2 weeks in half a day sun then into full sun.

Bookmark   May 30, 2006 at 7:50PM
the_virginian(Zone 7 NoVA)

You might get them to come back if you mulch them over really well or make a basket filled with leaves to put over them.

Bookmark   June 2, 2006 at 1:34PM
More Discussions
My avocado tree is not doing good
I bought this choquette tree from a nursery in Florida...
xdxproxdx
Beautiful Ideas for Oak Savanna
Anyone have any ideas of things to add to an Oak Savanna...
Savannagirl
New home privacy landscaping ideas?
We are building a house in Tallahassee and need suggestions...
memorr
Windbreak, Privacy Screen, City Lot, Wet Feet
Hello - I need some ideas for what to do along the...
Tryska D
Home soil testing kits
Are there any good ones out there?.
420benz
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™