Where to buy compost in Atlanta area?

atlanta_gardener(7b Atlanta)May 2, 2004

Hi all, I'm working on a perennial border and I need to add lots of organic matter. Does anyone have any recommendations re: the best compost to use and where to go to get it? Many thanks in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
girlgroupgirl(8 ATL)

Composted cattle manure is excellent. Check the Farmers and Consumers Market Bulletin for the closest location to you. It's often available for a nominal fee, but you must go pick it up.
Make sure you ask that it is composted.

GGG

Bookmark   May 2, 2004 at 11:22PM
brian_7_atlanta(7B)

There is a landfill off Lawrenceville Hwy (US-29) just east of the intersection with Jimmy Carter Blvd. If you have a truck, they'll fill it for "A small loading fee" ($5) with wood mulch. About 75% pine, 25% hardwood (both bark and chips). There's a bit of foreign matter since this is residential chopped trees. I've found bits of wire from extension cords, pieces of black landscape fabric and pots, pieces of cloth, and the remnants of a foam kneeling pad. The rate for trash is about 1 pint per cubic yard, in my experience.

It isn't "twice ground" like the stuff you can get delivered, so there are some fist-sized pieces of wood, but the price is right for me.

Oh, get there by 4:30. They close down at 5:00, which means the front end loader is headed back to the office at 4:40.

Bookmark   May 6, 2004 at 2:44PM
strikegoldman(z7B GA)

I recently had the Georgia Power Company deliver some mulch to me for free. They have a tree crew that cuts branches to keep them off the lines, and they will gladly dump a load in your yard or driveway if you call them. Sorry, I don't have the number anymore, but if you call GA Power they should be able to give it to you.
The mulch is like the above post, it contains some "foreign matter" (I found an unbroken beer bottle in mine). It's a mix of leaf, branch, and whole tree mulch.

Bookmark   May 13, 2004 at 12:47PM
willworkforflowers(7a GA)

I'm a big fan of Luxury Landscape in Lawrenceville at Collins Hill & 316. You can get a bulldozer scoop of mushroom compost for $23. It is normally $4 a bag at Home Depot and I figure a scoop is about 20 bags. It's a great deal and they are really easy to get in and out of. It has been like steriods for my plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: Luxury Landscape

Bookmark   May 13, 2004 at 4:23PM
GardeningGGirl(7b)

You can pick up mulch for free from Dekalb County. I'm pretty sure you can get it in the governmental complex near where the Dekalb County Jail is. Off Memorial Drive. Also, the Dekalb County landfill in south Dekalb County used to have it as well. I'm sure if you call the main Dekalb County # in the phone book they can give you detail directions or get you to someone who can.

Bookmark   July 25, 2004 at 8:30AM
rip1129(z7 neatlanta)

I also buy from Luxury Landscape they are the best around and have awesome product quality and prices - you may want to check out their soil/compost mix or humus mix. I've used their products for years in my annual beds and veggie garden - can't believe the yield.

Bookmark   February 12, 2005 at 6:42AM
More Discussions
Leggy Aspidistra
I have large Aspidistras that sat for several years...
pbatlanta1
Beware of mail order scam - House of Wesley
There is a mail order nursery company based in Bloomington,...
chicago90
Home soil testing kits
Are there any good ones out there?.
420benz
privacy screen HELP!
My lovely country/cottage garden style yard and porch...
inbloominalabama
Leland Cypress screen planting?
I want to plant a Leland Cypress privacy screen. There...
wendyb_2007
Sponsored Products
Sonoma Beacon Black Rectangular: 5 Ft. 3 In. x 7 Ft. 6 In. Rug
$279.00 | Bellacor
Le Flore Rug 5' x 8' - BURGUNDY
$339.00 | Horchow
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Artistic Weavers Rugs Jeanty Tan 9 ft. x
Home Depot
Multicolor Black Cotton Chindi Area Rug
Cost Plus World Market
Imperial MLB Bunk Bed - Boston Red Sox - 901523
$399.00 | Hayneedle