Finally blooming again!

sara_ann-z6bokSeptember 7, 2013

My established Bewitched bush for some reason took a long break this summer after its usual May blooms, no blooms at all until now.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jim1961 Zone 6a Central Pa.

Nice looking bloom but wow! on the wait time....

Bookmark   September 7, 2013 at 9:49PM
inga007(Ont. 6a)

Well worth the wait.

Bookmark   September 8, 2013 at 8:51AM
seil zone 6b MI

It's beautiful! Some varieties take longer to cycle anyway but if there were any adverse weather conditions that might have added to the down time. Some of mine were very slow to repeat because our July was cool and gray for the most part. They took off in August when things cleared up and it got hot though.

Bookmark   September 8, 2013 at 2:26PM
sara_ann-z6bok

Thanks everyone. I don't know what the explanation is. Bewitched usually repeats really fast for me. A majority of my other roses have been repeating their cycles really quickly all season long. One thing I've always wondered about Bewitched is mine always grows tall and never gets many canes. I have seen pictures of huge Bewitched bushes that are as wide as tall, would love to have one like that. Guess I should be happy it has always been disease resistant for me and seems to be hardy.

Bookmark   September 8, 2013 at 3:06PM
dove_song(WA State Z6b)

Gorgeous pink flower! Love, love, love that color. Sounds like a 'down right' mystery to me on why this beauty took sooo long to rebloom again. Sara-Ann, can you describe her fragrance to us? :)

Bookmark   September 8, 2013 at 8:45PM
sara_ann-z6bok

Dove_song - Thank you. I'll try to describe the fragrance. I've always thought of Bewitched as having more of a spicy fragrance, but HMF describes it as damask. To me it is a very pleasant fragrance, but not overly strong, at least not to my senses.

Bookmark   September 8, 2013 at 11:05PM
dove_song(WA State Z6b)

Thanks, Sara-Ann. I saw that fragrance info on HMF, but you just never know so I thought I'd ask. Perhaps someday Bewitched will be added to my garden. Sure is pretty!! :)

Bookmark   September 9, 2013 at 8:42PM
canadian_rose(zone 3a)

That's a GORGEOUS bloom!!!

As to the lack of bushiness - do you ever water with alfalfa tea? I just put alfalfa pellets in my wheelbarrow and spray (not letting it merely flow) water on them. That should help since it promotes new basal growth.
Carol

Bookmark   September 9, 2013 at 9:25PM
sara_ann-z6bok

Carol - Thank you and thanks for the suggestion about the alfalfa tea to help with basal breaks, something I've been wondering about. Several years ago I tried Epsom salts for that purpose, not sure if it made a difference, maybe some.

Bookmark   September 9, 2013 at 10:47PM
canadian_rose(zone 3a)

I think that it was Henry from this forum that posted something about Epsom Salts not being worth their salt (sorry about the pun). And Henry, I'm sorry if I'm misquoting you. So I don't bother with that anymore.
Carol

Bookmark   September 12, 2013 at 2:22AM
More Discussions
Roses that need support--ideas
I had some leftover pieces of materials that we are...
kathy9norcal
Roses "O"
Time for the O's..... ODESSA mini OKLAHOMA OKSANA OLDCASTLE OLD...
bethnorcal9
Austins In Africa
Some David Austins at the Southern tip of Africa :-) Emmanuel Generous...
liezelgil
Wheee!! February roses for Las Vegas
the roses that went in late spring last year are now...
lorrihz
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™