Gardenia healthy but not blooming

ncgatorJune 4, 2006

Shouldn't my Gardenia be blooming by now? I have three plants that bloomed two years ago by this time (not last year because I pruned too late). They are green and full of buds, but none have bloomed yet. I've used Miracle Gro acid-loving fertilizer and Ortho incecticide to get rid of the white flies, but still no bloom. What happened?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
the_virginian(Zone 7 NoVA)

I've got the opposite problem, blooms but yellowing leaves inspite of blood meal, epsom salts and miracle gro.

Bookmark   June 6, 2006 at 12:17AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

ncgator, are you certain that you haven't over fertilized? That is always a possibility with miracle gro. Also, climate can have something to do with bloom time, so if you've had a spring season that is a bit unusual, perhaps that might be the cause. It sounds like your plant may still bloom, albeit later than usual, right?

Hold off on the fertilizer, that's for sure.

Bookmark   June 6, 2006 at 8:29AM
ncgator

I don't think I've overfertilized; I was actually going to give them another shot. Thanks for the warning. I'll hold off and see what happens...

Bookmark   June 7, 2006 at 2:20PM
carla17(Z7 NC)

Luckily my gardenias are doing great. I don't have them in full sun. I also have babies that are taking forever. I guess I'm thankful for something blooming that thrips don't like!!\

Carla

Bookmark   June 10, 2006 at 5:01PM
More Discussions
Fine garden April issue, no southeast pics
Why not? Steve aitken Why no southeast pics?
josephene_gw
invasion of something on my coleus
I have 18 coleus in pots They have been great but......
optiwench
Price of Long Needle Pine Straw in Your Area?
Last week we had our annual pine straw mulch refresh....
kswl2
desert rose
Can anyone tell me how to care for a desert rose? My...
margyrose
Home soil testing kits
Are there any good ones out there?.
420benz
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™