Ads that fill up the entire page

rivkadr(SoCal)May 1, 2007

There's an advert on the main page of THS that fills up the entire page when it loads. I'm about to stop coming to this site, because the ads are getting way too obnoxious.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
albert_135(Sunset 2 or 3)

I'm seeing no ads there except a descrete frame labeled Sponsored Links from Yahoo!

Do these things appear at different times in different parts of the country? Several people on heating and airconditioning are seeing pop-ups that others of us do not see.

Bookmark   May 2, 2007 at 2:24PM
jan44(z4b WI)

Yeah, South Beach Diet ad that opens new tabs, you click close and it opens another. Most annoying advertising site I ever visit. I used Safari and it was really bad; Firefox is better, but still annoying enough to not come back.

suggestion: iVillage - find other ways to make money on this site.

Bookmark   May 6, 2007 at 9:07AM
bob414(USDA 9, Sunset 15)

I never see any ads here with firefox. The NoScript extension blocks the pop ups and Remove It Permanently blocks the others.

Bookmark   May 6, 2007 at 10:11AM
tommyr_gw

I get a full page video ad all the time, ANNOYING AS ALL HELL. It's BS IMHO. Rediculous. I'm close to bailing out here as well. I don't blame you a bit.

Tom

Bookmark   May 11, 2007 at 8:53PM
junkyardgirl

Bob, thanks for those links. I just got the new Firefox and hadn't gotten the extensions yet. Haven't been here in awhile, and the popup I got after posting in the brug forum hung up my browser and I had to close and reload!

Oh for the good old days...

Bookmark   May 21, 2007 at 10:24AM
breenthumb

Using plain old ie here and never get any pop ups. In fact my blocker has been off for over a week and I still haven't seen an ad of any kind.

Bookmark   August 6, 2007 at 6:20PM
tommyr_gw

They backed off the ads for sure, I haven't seen a full page ad in a week or 2.
I'm REALLY tired of ads, seriously. Radio, TV, newspapers, magazines and now the web it's getting rediculous. I bale out on sites that over do ads. There are too many other sites to put up with that crap....

Bookmark   August 10, 2007 at 10:13PM
Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)

Paying members don't get ads. I would never use this site if I were not a paying member.

Scott

Bookmark   August 25, 2007 at 8:26AM
terriks

You no longer need to pay, nor is there an option to pay for this site.

Bookmark   September 1, 2007 at 12:29PM
tommyr_gw

Now the ads with AUDIO have started. It's getting worse now here. It's really sad.

Bookmark   September 2, 2007 at 8:35PM
aka_peggy(Central Md 6b)

"Paying members don't get ads. I would never use this site if I were not a paying member."

Scott, where've you been?? When was the last time you paid? Because there are no more paid memberships and there hasn't been since January '06....or there about.

Bookmark   September 9, 2007 at 10:37AM
breenthumb

If I use CCleaner or otherwise clear history or cache, I have to log in again. Before I log in there are all sorts of annoying things, but they disappear as soon as I log in. Never any ads. Sandy

Bookmark   September 20, 2007 at 9:59PM
greenlarry(UK 8/9)

Well we had Firefox on our PC but we had to get rid of it as it interfered with our online banking making things a real pain! So now I have to put up with ads and surveys when on the PC. A lot of the time I use my phone to browse the net using Opera Mini 3,no ads at all! Opera on the PC?

Bookmark   October 12, 2007 at 5:35AM
bob414(USDA 9, Sunset 15)

Opera might do the job for you. You can use firefox and get the IE View Lite extension. After getting the extension you go to your bank's page in firefox and right click on the page then on the drop down menu click on 'view this page in IE'. From then on when you go to your banks page in firefox it will open in internet explorer. You can do your banking then close that page and continue surfing in firefox.

Bookmark   October 12, 2007 at 9:49AM
albert_135(Sunset 2 or 3)

I don't know how it is done, perhaps one could ask on computer help, but my spouse set up two 'users' on one machine. One is FireFox most things and the other is IE for business such as banking. To get from one to the other is just a couple of clicks.

Bookmark   October 12, 2007 at 1:03PM
dancinglemons(7B VA)

I use IE and have McAfee security with pop-up blocker. BUT -- the ads are how this site can survive with no fees paid. The advertisers pay fees to the folks who own this site and so we can use it for FREEcolor> 24/7/365 !! Get a pop-up blocker.

DL

Bookmark   January 2, 2008 at 3:08AM
More Discussions
A way to contact other Houzz members?
Since the big switch from GW, if I understand things...
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
clickable links within posts cannot be distinguished
The clickable links font color is so similar to the...
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
my plant is long and skinny
My plant is growing very tall and skinny. i moved it...
Zheni
Houzz - Please stop futzing with the FAQ alphetization
In the Garden FAQ section, there are three tables of...
asm198 - Zone 6a (MO)
help! philodendrum help!
hi! i really enjoy your easy to read blog for amateurs!...
pok900
Sponsored Products
Linon Trio with a Twist Floral Area Rug - RUG-TATO0823
$36.00 | Hayneedle
Hudson Valley Lighting | Quinton Ceiling Light
$514.00 | YLighting
Caskata Sea Fan Serving Bowl
$180.00 | FRONTGATE
SLV Lighting | Picture Light 13W Wall Light
$458.00 | YLighting
Vondom | Moma Low Planter
YLiving.com