Agave americana, aka what not to place by walkway

Danielsan(7B)June 11, 2013

I just have to share this with somebody. We moved into this home about a year ago, and knew nothing of the landscaping or what we had. We've learned little by little, and this spring we got a true surprise: one of the agaves out front is blooming!

Now, sadly, these plants were put in near the walk in front of the house and have become a huge problem. Thankfully we'll get to see one bloom before we take it out!

The main bloom stalk has been growing (visibly) for about a month now and is a little over 15 ft tall. We noticed two weeks ago that one of the immature plants was also blooming, and has its own bloom stalk that is about 3 ft tall now.

We still plan to remove a second large agave even though it hasn't bloomed due to the proximity to the walk, along with many many pups that have come up. Are these pups something that would be valuable to folks in my area (7B, northern AL) or would you all just discard them?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vicki7(z7 N.Ga.)

I understand your frustration. In the subdivision I live, the builder installed crape myrtles 3 ft. away from the house?! We have already removed one and have another yet to remove. Obviously he had no idea how big those things get. I know nothing about agaves, but if it were me, I would dig it up and toss it out. Unless you have friends/relatives who want it. Good luck

Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 3:16PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Take lots of pictures! These plants are pretty spectacular when blooming.

Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 7:50PM
More Discussions
desert rose
Can anyone tell me how to care for a desert rose? My...
margyrose
what does not (won't) grow in the south
This post is for FUTURE reference. I live in northern...
kawaiineko_gardener
HELP with horsetail fern
I think it is Equisetum hyemale. My husband planted...
beagardner
Pandanaceae
Hi there, I was in Rarotonga recently in the tropical...
Basic_Biology
My avocado tree is not doing good
I bought this choquette tree from a nursery in Florida...
xdxproxdx
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™