lantana-poisonous?

michelle11(z7 AL)June 24, 2005

Does anyone know if lantana seeds are poisonous? My 1 yr old is trying to eat them.

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cajunmama(z9LA)

That's what I've heard and read!
Don't know just how toxic but would be very careful with a one year old around this plant. Good luck.
cajunmama

Bookmark   June 24, 2005 at 6:50PM
LISACAPPEL(9 LA)

According to many sources lantana is very toxic. The berries if eaten are very poisonous. The leaves can cause skin irritaion. Some of the signs of ingestion: vomiting, diarrhea, labored breathing. Other than small children, animals are the most at risk. I live in a neighborhood and have no problems with my lantana which is planted around my mailbox. If you're in the country, with livestock close by the plant I would re-think where you would like to plant it. Otherwise, I've enjoyed mine for several years without incident.

Bookmark   July 3, 2005 at 1:33PM
PeaBee4(9a)

This is from www.floridata.com
WARNING: Pets have reportedly become ill after ingesting lantana. The unripe berries are known to be very toxic and the foliage toxic to livestock. Lantana is listed as a Category I invasive exotic species by the Florida Exotic Pest Plant Council, which means that it is known to be "invading and disrupting native plant communities in Florida." Lantana is also invading natural areas in Texas and is a huge problem in Hawaii.

Bookmark   July 3, 2005 at 4:50PM
gurley157fs(zone 7/8sc)

Normally I would try to be of a gentler tone but in this case - DO NOT LET YOUR CHILD PUT THIS IN THIER MOUTH or have the residue on the hands for that matter. Also if you have oleander that is another deadly plant. Might be a good idea to google poisonous plants.

Bookmark   July 3, 2005 at 10:01PM
lolasma(Southeast Texas)

I love lantana, but I have a new dog and she will be in the same fenced area as the lantana. Is there another plant, similar in color and sturdiness that I could use instead?
Marilyn

Bookmark   April 4, 2007 at 5:43PM
Biggestfeet(9a or 9b)

I'm having problems with Ants eating all my Fall planting of Spring annuals. I'm thinking of adding Lantana to the garden and since it is poisonous, maybe they will leave it alone? Any one notice Ants eating on your Lantana? How about frost tenderness? Thanks in advance

Bookmark   November 5, 2012 at 9:36AM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

Hi, Biggestfeet. You may want to start a new discussion next time you have a new question.

Plants that are poisonous to one kind of critter are not necessarily so for another. So ants and humans are unlikely to have identical sensitivities. And the ants would have to be ingesting the Lantana for it to be an issue.

If you look closely, I think you will find aphids or some similar pest(s) wherever there are ants on plants. What do you think?

If you show a pic of your damaged annuals in the garden clinic forum if you still have questions, it may be possible to help you figure out what's munching on your plants, which would then help you learn/solicit what possible solutions might exist.

Bookmark   November 5, 2012 at 1:50PM
More Discussions
Myrtle won't bloom
I have a couple of crape myrtles in my yard that won't...
gregnga
invasion of something on my coleus
I have 18 coleus in pots They have been great but......
optiwench
Crepe Myrtle in the ICU
Hi folks, This crepe myrtle came from the builder when...
rwiki
Rooting Lantana?
I've had success rooting many things, but not sure...
msjacki
Very hard pruning of big boxwoods?
I know this has been discussed before, but I just can't...
topsiebeezelbub
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™