Azalea caterpiller help

eskimobaby87(z8AL)July 18, 2005

This morning I discovered my azalea's COVERED in Azalea Caterpillers. I pulled most of them off and killed them but I found eggs on the undersides of the leaves so I know the battle isn't over. I HATE to spray but I don't know if I can get around it. Any suggestions about treatment -- chemical or organic. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
CrackerGal_Z9(N. Fl.)

Oh boy those are some of the ugliest caterpillers! I had a bunch hatch out on my azaleas last year. They can strip a bush in no time at all. I prunned off the affected branches, smushed as many of the living ones as I could find. And then I sprayed everything down with B.T.(Bacillus Thuringiensis) at least once per week untill I was sure that no more were hatching. B.T. is good to use because it targets caterpillers and is not toxic to people or pets. Just keep it away from your butterfly garden if you have one. You should be able to find it in any garden supply store. I mix it in a pump up sprayer and saturate the affected plant untill it drips off the leaves. Dont forget to soak the bottoms of the leaves while your at it.
Good luck Cindy

Bookmark   July 18, 2005 at 6:11PM
More Discussions
My avocado tree is not doing good
I bought this choquette tree from a nursery in Florida...
xdxproxdx
Sugar Cane
Is there a preferred time of year in planting it? What,...
greenepastures
Crepe Myrtle in the ICU
Hi folks, This crepe myrtle came from the builder when...
rwiki
Epsom salt on plants
I heard that Epsom salts are good for plants and vegatables....
angel123
invasion of something on my coleus
I have 18 coleus in pots They have been great but......
optiwench
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™