Pyracantha confusion...

queenoftheforest(7)July 21, 2014

I'm confused by Pyracantha... what is it? I see so many that look like vines. I've seen some that look like trees, and some that look like shrubs. My mom says I HAVE TO have one... but I'm just wondering where I would place it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dottie_in_charlotte(z7-8 NC)

Used to be that many highway bridge overpasses were planted with pyracantha and in the past 20 years they were torn out and replaced with evergreen and ornamental grasses.
Seems I recall pyracantha being targeted as a carrier of some plant virus but I may be in error.
I used to have some but they died out back in the '90s.
They form tall canes, not really vines and they need at least twice a year pruning which isn't fun because of their thorns (firethorn is the common name). Stabbed with one of those, the injury both hurts and itches.
Make your own decisions what you need in your landscape.

Bookmark   July 21, 2014 at 3:12PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

I really like pyracantha for its long lasting show of colorful berries. It can be usefully trained to a variety of forms, depending on its location in the landscape.

Yes, it is often used as a 'feature', and will require some simple pruning once or twice a year. Gloves should be used to protect from the thorns, which can cause a reaction to sensitive individuals.

More importantly, do careful research on the status of pyracantha in your state. Some of the species are listed as invasive in some locations; you don't want to contribute to an ecological problem.

Bookmark   July 24, 2014 at 4:23AM
topsiebeezelbub(z7 Al)

I have one that is against the fence and it has gotten very big, like a spreading tree, but no too tall, about 10 ft. I never prune it unless a limb dies, but it has plenty of room to grow. It is very pretty when it has white flowers, then again when the bright orange berries show.

Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 12:02AM
More Discussions
what does not (won't) grow in the south
This post is for FUTURE reference. I live in northern...
kawaiineko_gardener
Epsom salt on plants
I heard that Epsom salts are good for plants and vegatables....
angel123
HELP with horsetail fern
I think it is Equisetum hyemale. My husband planted...
beagardner
Very hard pruning of big boxwoods?
I know this has been discussed before, but I just can't...
topsiebeezelbub
Retail Garden Center Dall./Ft.Worth area??
Hi all. I'm new to this area of the site and I hope...
leelee7
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™