use of coffee grounds in flower gardens

pippi21(Z7 Silver Spring, Md.)July 26, 2013

There was a lot of gardeners who use epson salts in their gardens. We have a Keurig coffee maker and buy the pods and I scoop out the used coffee grounds from the pods and save it in a plastic container. I am starting to leave the container top off as the coffee grounds got moldy with it left on..

I have added water in this container and shook it up well and poured it around my roses and hydrangeas and keep adding water and shaking it up. How often do you suggest I do this?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
louisianagal(z7bMS)

As often as you want, really. Whenever your plants need watering.

Bookmark   July 29, 2013 at 11:14AM
sandnsea(9)

Coffee grounds are a caffine jolt for your plants...they put nitrogen in the soil which is good and if there are earth worms those little boogers just love them. coffee grounds also if used too often could turn the soil to acidic and could cause a depletion of nutrients...they can burn your plants during hot summers especially if not watered in well and depending on the type of plants. I use mine on things like hydrangea, bouganvillea, roses any of your acid loving plants maybe every 3-6 months ....too much though it is kinda like eating ice cream all the time, it could one day make you sick (Sometimes a good thing can be too much). Coffee grounds are a soil admendment not fertilizer. But it sounds like you use a very minimal amount just make sure the coffee get mixed in the soil well and watered. How about composting it? 1part green (coffee)(grass clippings) to 2 parts brown
(dead leaves) I hope this helps....HAPPY GARDENING :)

Bookmark   September 16, 2013 at 10:14PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Sand....the pH of used coffee grounds is quite close to neutral....in the mid-6s. The acid is in the coffee cup!

Bookmark   September 16, 2013 at 11:00PM
More Discussions
Windbreak, Privacy Screen, City Lot, Wet Feet
Hello - I need some ideas for what to do along the...
Tryska D
desert rose
Can anyone tell me how to care for a desert rose? My...
margyrose
Price of Long Needle Pine Straw in Your Area?
Last week we had our annual pine straw mulch refresh....
kswl2
How to care for new sod - Hibernation
Hello, As of this second, I have a team of people putting...
thom71gt
Retail Garden Center Dall./Ft.Worth area??
Hi all. I'm new to this area of the site and I hope...
leelee7
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™