Southern Magnolia near death! HELP!

ipribadiJuly 18, 2007

I have a 15-gallon southern magnolia that I planted in March this year.

It has never responded very well after it was planted: lost 1/2 of it's leaves by turning yellow then falling off. No height growth at all since planted.

In the past 3 weeks, Austin-TX has gotten more than 20 inches of rain (yes 20") and in particular, my magnolia is in a low spot in my backyard and has been drenched in standing water for a 1 or 2 days period.

Now (it's stopped raining) and half of the leaves are getting to be dark brown and there are only about 10-15 leaves left that are green.

Stems and branches also have dark brown spots all over.

The tree appears near death. :(

What can I do?

Please help me!! Anyone please !!

Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
razorback33(z7)

The yellowing and dropping of leaves in the spring is normal for Southern Magnolia. Young trees often shed an excessive amount of foliage.
The browning of foliage is probably due to the standing water, which blocks oxygen from reaching the roots. Although Southern Magnolias can tolerate occasional flooding, as well as drought conditions, a young tree struggling to become established is probably less amenable to extreme conditions. If you have a thick layer of mulch over the roots, I would pull it back temporarily to allow the soil to dry more rapidly between downpours. Hopefully you will get a break in the weather soon.
Rb

Here is a link that might be useful: Southern Magnolia

Bookmark   July 20, 2007 at 12:26PM
More Discussions
Fine garden April issue, no southeast pics
Why not? Steve aitken Why no southeast pics?
josephene_gw
privacy screen HELP!
My lovely country/cottage garden style yard and porch...
inbloominalabama
Very hard pruning of big boxwoods?
I know this has been discussed before, but I just can't...
topsiebeezelbub
Leland Cypress screen planting?
I want to plant a Leland Cypress privacy screen. There...
wendyb_2007
Edgeworthia chrysantha
Hello, I have recently bought and planted a Edgeworthia...
sfcrumley
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™