What are some good fruit trees for Northern GA?

lCoulterJuly 8, 2013

I live in Atlanta and finally got a yard! :) Does anyone know what are some good fruit trees for the area? I have heard that despite all the street names, peaches do not do too well...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
louisianagal(z7bMS)

I live near Tupelo MS which is similar climate to Atlanta. My understanding is that peaches get alot of diseases and must be on a regular spray program. I garden organically so do not do peaches. Figs are easy, I have Brown Turkey but I hear Celeste is better. I have several neighbors with apple and pear trees but I don't know the variety. The neighbor across the street gets plenty apples. I have Freedom and Liberty apples in espalier form but they are too young to bear yet. I researched these for my zone, disease resistance, and cross pollination. I think Gala is a good apple variety. If I had room I would try some cherry or plum. Don't forget blueberries they are not trees but beautiful shrubs and fairly easy. Your best bet is likely to contact your local university extension service, perhaps Georgia State or UGA. They will typically have stuff to mail you or a great database online.

Bookmark   July 9, 2013 at 11:33PM
opal52(z7b GA)

My Brother-in-Law (Atlanta) and my Father-in_Law (Rockdale County) both grew figs successfully. With our unpredictable winters you risk having them killed back by ice storms. It happened to my in-laws a few times over the years, but they would just cut them back and wait for the next season. I agree the best source for info. is the Extension Department at the University of Georgia. Also, you can check info. on Walter Reeves web site - www.walterreeves.com

Here is a link that might be useful: UGA - Seach Publications

Bookmark   July 10, 2013 at 3:58PM
zzackey(8b GA)

Grapes? Muscadine and Scuppernoggs do awesome here. We are about 1 hour north of Jax Fl. In 8b. Apples and maybe pecans. I know they aren't a fruit, but once you've eaten a fresh pecan, store bought ones taste like crap!

Bookmark   July 11, 2013 at 6:28PM
jeff_al

some good information at the link below for fruits that do well in the south. the group works to establish wildlife-attracting plantings but their details also include information about the flavors, disease resistance, uses, etc. for many varieties of apples, crabapples, pear and plum.

Here is a link that might be useful: wildlife group

Bookmark   July 18, 2013 at 5:23PM
More Discussions
Leland Cypress screen planting?
I want to plant a Leland Cypress privacy screen. There...
wendyb_2007
what does not (won't) grow in the south
This post is for FUTURE reference. I live in northern...
kawaiineko_gardener
Retail Garden Center Dall./Ft.Worth area??
Hi all. I'm new to this area of the site and I hope...
leelee7
Edgeworthia chrysantha
Hello, I have recently bought and planted a Edgeworthia...
sfcrumley
privacy screen HELP!
My lovely country/cottage garden style yard and porch...
inbloominalabama
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™