Sick Yucca

rmk1825(7)July 10, 2006

Hello,

I have a sick trunking yucca! The inside of the yucca where the leaves spread out from is brown and has cracked with some leaves. Shouldn't it be solid and non-brown? It definitely should not look brown and look solid. Am I overwatering?

Is there anything I can do to salvage it? Would u just return it to home depot and get another one? I've had it about 4 months. My sprinklers are coming on twice a week for 7 mins.

Can it get better again or is it gone? Click the link so you can see the pictures.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Sick Yucca

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

I would take it back and try again. Have you examined the soil to see what your 7 minutes of irrigation is accomplishing? I wouldn't think much. Dig down about an hour after one of those cycles and see what the soil tell you.

Bookmark   July 11, 2006 at 10:32AM
agnespuffin

It's possible that is too much water. I may be wrong, but I think the roots will rot is they stay damp too long. They are known to be very drought tolerant. They like arid conditions. Anything that likes dry soil will usually react badly to frequent waterings.

Bookmark   July 12, 2006 at 4:29PM
rivers1202(Z8a South Carolina)

I saw some similar looking Yucca plants for sale at Lowes, early in the spring. I was going to purchase one, but noticed that they all had what appeared to be crown rot..which is kinda what it looks like yours has. I'm certainly no plant expert, but it does look like the plant was over-watered and rot has set in. These plants like dry, sunny conditions. I had one a few years ago that I lost to rot after a very wet, mild winter. I don't think it's your fault -- I seriously doubt the twice per week 7 minute watering routine would do that. I think the culprit is the overhead sprinklers they use at places like Lowes and Home Depot. I'd take it back and get something else.

Renee

Bookmark   July 14, 2006 at 4:47AM
More Discussions
mimosa pruning
I was given a 1 yr old potted mimosa and planted in...
Diane_Warneke
Epsom salt on plants
I heard that Epsom salts are good for plants and vegatables....
angel123
Beautiful Ideas for Oak Savanna
Anyone have any ideas of things to add to an Oak Savanna...
Savannagirl
Beware of mail order scam - House of Wesley
There is a mail order nursery company based in Bloomington,...
chicago90
My avocado tree is not doing good
I bought this choquette tree from a nursery in Florida...
xdxproxdx
Sponsored Products
Flyte Ceiling Fan with Light by Minka Aire Fans
$519.95 | Lumens
Tan 9-Inch Dark Sky Outdoor Wall Mount with Yucca Center Cutout Design
$106.20 | Bellacor
Star Succulent in Round Woven Planter Christmas Decor
$349.00 | FRONTGATE
Artemide | Mercury Ceiling Light
YLighting
Agraria Golden Cassis Bath Bar
$22.50 | FRONTGATE