scarlet runner pole beans, how many squares

mgrinderMarch 23, 2010

Hi, first year square foot gardening.

I've been searching to find out how many scarlet runner pole beans to plant. Rather how many squares? I can't seem to find what I'm looking for. I had one scarlet runner plant last year, and it was quite productive. The other plants were romano (7 plants) and we got a great deal of beans (romano). They were arranged in a row, and planted in dirt. No more of that, I'm doing square foot this year.

Based on this, though, Eight plants in one square seems like quite a bit. How many can I expect with one square of 8 bean plants? With two squares (16 plants). I am feeding two people, would like to have beans every other day, or every three days.

Can people tell me how many squares they plant, and what the yeild is like with that many beans?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
heather38(6a E,Coast)

Last year I wigwammed 5 in a sq foot of the runners as they are pretty compact width wise, the official distance on my packet says 6 inches apart, so that would be 4 per Square foot, 5 worked well, and I am doing 6 this year, they get messy at the top when they run out of poles, but I kinda like the look and it's above my head, so not in the way, only down side is the slope of the poles is steep and so a little instable, towards the end of the session after a few high winds, but they hung in by their roots.

Bookmark   March 23, 2010 at 4:34PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luke3026

I didn't grow scarlett runners but I did grow 2 squares (16 plants) of Kentucky Wonder pole beans last year. I harvested 10 pounds of beans from those 2 squares over the course of about 6-8 weeks.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden blog

Bookmark   March 23, 2010 at 6:20PM
More Discussions
Cold Weather Covers
I made a cover for a 4x4 box going off the instructions...
mtnrunner
Weed Barrier
I was excited to find this forum. I started dabbling...
mtnrunner
What should I use to fill my raised beds?
I'm going to be making some raised beds in my backyard...
hazeldazel
Onion spacing- 16/sq ft vs. Dixondale recommendation
Dixondale farms suggests 4" between onions, and...
mmqchdygg
Corn in sfg-how deep do roots need to grow?
My sfg is only 4x4. I plan this season, only using...
growingup
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™