Help with 8'X10' area in San Diego front yard

sandiego.gardnerJanuary 31, 2012

San Diego, California, Sunset Zone 23, USDA Zone 10b

In my front yard, I have a one foot wall on three sides of an 8 foot wide by 10 foot deep area. In the photo linked below, you are looking West at 3pm, so the shadow from the garage shows that this area gets full sun until late afternoon.

My theme for the rest of the yard is: Drought resistant and/or California native.

For security and safety, I want to keep height from 6 to 18 inches. I'm thinking three or four plants or a low shrub that will fill in the area in time.

Color would be preferred, but a low maintenance plant that pleasantly fills in this area and looks decent year around would be OK too.

I can also run drip irrigation to this area easily.

I have "Western Gardner" and I like it, but I need help narrowing down my many options.

[IMG]http://i1251.photobucket.com/albums/hh552/san_diego_gardner/Front-RightofDriveway.jpg[/IMG]

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sandiego.gardner

Thought that link would show photo. Let me try the other type of link...

Bookmark   January 31, 2012 at 11:49AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lgteacher(SCal)

Ceanothus Joyce Coulter is a low-growing variety that could fill much of that square. Have you thought about going to Las Pilitas Nursery? I think it's in San Diego County. It may not be far from you. If nothing else, you could look at their website for pictures. They have lots of information about drought tolerant plants. I have never been there, but have gotten good info on the website.

Bookmark   February 21, 2012 at 3:10PM
More Discussions
Help get rid of Scorpions - have dogs
Help!!. My friend has a new wooden house in the South....
Natilie70
when to start
Hi, When are folks starting some seeds indoors? What...
rvsunn
Can you identify this worm thing?
Cross posting, to reach as many as possible who might...
ernie85017
Little white worms in my compost
These little guys are spread throughout my organic...
SweetShef
Anyone out there have a joshua tree?
I have been trying to find some information on joshua...
kazooie
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™