Rabbitbrush growth rate

comeonJanuary 13, 2005

I would like to plant a hedge between my neighbors yard and my own and am considering Rabbitbrush as the foundation of this planting. I am concerned about the size of plants available and how quickly it may grow. Has anyone grown this who can give me an idea of how quickly it is likely to grow?

Thanks,

comeon

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
adp_abq(7b NM)

Fast if you irrigate it.

Bookmark   January 13, 2005 at 4:19PM
comeon

sorry to be pushy, but how fast is fast.

Bookmark   January 13, 2005 at 4:51PM
nrynes(6/CO)

I bought seedlings from high Country Gardens last spring - they were about 4" tall. By fall they were about 2 ft tall and starting to bush out. From the other rabbitbrush in my yard, I would guess these newbies will be about 4' tall next summer.

I cut my "teenage" rabbitbrush back to about 1.5 ft tall each spring and by fall they are about 4-5' tall. They are not irrigated. I have seen these grow 6-8ft tall in a garden setting with irrigation and would expect that to take 3-5 years from sapling.

Bookmark   January 14, 2005 at 3:31PM
bcstan

Several years ago I had a native rabbit brush come up a couple of feet from an irrigated area of my yard. In two years it was about one and a half feet taller than my six foot chain length fence. That's big and that is fast. Most of the natives only grow to three or four feet high.

This is the Utah high desert with very little rain and a very short growing season.. I think a lot would depend on where you live, how long your growing season is and how much rain you get.

Bookmark   January 15, 2005 at 5:03PM
comeon

been away, just wanted to thank you two for the response, that was just what i wanted to hear.
thanks again,
comeon

Bookmark   January 20, 2005 at 6:05PM
More Discussions
Help get rid of Scorpions - have dogs
Help!!. My friend has a new wooden house in the South....
Natilie70
Quail - gggrrrrrrrr
I am at my wit's end with quail doing a number on my...
eureka
Rsidential rock screen
HELP. I have an older home. I live in the high desert...
rodoehoho
Creosote near Isleta/Albuquerque
Just thought I'd throw this out there. Recently I drove...
cactus_dude
1/3 acre on slope elevation 3400
Hi there, We have around 1/3 of an acre with a slight...
ltews
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™