Cardboard for weed suppression

azdkellyJanuary 9, 2009

I am placing decomposed granite in a large portion of my yard which is just topsoil right now with a weeds coming up. Has anyone used cardboard over the topsoil to act as a weed suppression method before placing the decomposed granite down? Or any thoughts?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
petzold6596(8b southern NM)

Works great for a few years but decomposes leaving the bare ground again. Using landscape cloth (purchased a garden centers) is the best choice but costlier.

Bookmark   January 9, 2009 at 5:47PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
agricola1

I'm not much on landscape cloth. I actually prefer cardboard or newspaper (they're organic and will return to the soil.) Here's what I do:
1. I lay out the pattern for my bed. For this I use a hose to outline the edges (only because I don't like straight lines) and then spray the outline with talcum powder.
2. I lay the newspaper or cardboard out covering the shape of the bed.(If it's windy, you might want to spray the paper or cardboard down, or weigh it down with soil ro rocks).
3. I cover the entire bed with leaf mold (that's mulched leaves straight out of my compost bin). In just a couple of months, I've got nice, rich soil full of beneficial microbes and macroorganisms, the newspaper or cardboard has decomposed into the soil and my plants are happy.
I've made all my beds like this. Once the bed is established, I generally line it with stone to delineate the garden beds with the paths.
Don't worry about the ink in newspapers (or cardboard for that matter). All newspaper inks used in the U.S. are soy-based and disintegrate rapidly into the soil.
I wouldn't use newspaper magazine sections that are coated, mainly because these take much longer to disintegrate, and the coatings may not be something you want to put into your landscape.

Here is a link that might be useful: Desert and Waterwise Gardens

Bookmark   January 18, 2009 at 4:43PM
More Discussions
Killing palo verde
I apologize to those of you who cannot grow these....
rodoehoho
when to start
Hi, When are folks starting some seeds indoors? What...
rvsunn
Rsidential rock screen
HELP. I have an older home. I live in the high desert...
rodoehoho
Want to replace lawn with xeriscape, need advice
Hi All, I posted something similar in lawn care but...
andrewm2211
Anyone had those low litter trees near swimming pool?
I am looking for a evergreen tree to plant near a swimming...
monkeyta123
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™