Overwintering of plants

sparklplenty_tn(6b)August 25, 2005

I have some ferns in pots on the front porch as(lantana)that I am not sure can survive in my zone (6b). The in ground plants I just planted this spring,and I lost the tag. I have a safe room in my basement that would be dark the majority of the time. I thought I could cut everything back, and put it in the safe room, watering periodically. I have successfully done this with a shamrock plant. Has anyone else ever tried this and have it be successful

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
opal52(z7b GA)

I have several large hanging baskets of boston ferns which live outside during the summer. I tried overwintering them in a spare room in our house which has minimal light (one small window). I watered them about once a week. They made it, but looked pretty rough by the following spring. Took a long time for them to recover and fill out to look nice. Last year, before first frost, I cut them back to about 8-10", and stored them under our house. I had added florescent lights to test overwintering several of our plants that otherwise would have to come indoors. We have a brick home and the temps under our house never go below 55-60 degrees. I watered once a week or less during winter. I started watering more frequently around February and they filled back out nicely by the time I put them out this spring. This is just my experience, but I think they do best with good light even in winter. I'm not sure they will make it with little to no light.

Hope this helps.

Bookmark   August 27, 2005 at 2:19PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Maryl zone 7a

Some ferns (like the common Boston Fern) really are "ever growing" plants. In other words they don't have a dormant or down time. That means they need light constantly. I overwinter mine in my unheated garage (which has windows in the garage door). By spring they will have lost about 1/2 their foliage and look pretty ratty. However after dividing them and giving them new potting soil, they will bounce back in a month or two. Although I wouldn't swear to it, I think your Shamrock plants are actually bulbs that do have a dormant phase, so you couldn't compare their needs to an evergreen plant.

Bookmark   August 29, 2005 at 1:32PM
More Discussions
Windbreak, Privacy Screen, City Lot, Wet Feet
Hello - I need some ideas for what to do along the...
Tryska D
Price of Long Needle Pine Straw in Your Area?
Last week we had our annual pine straw mulch refresh....
kswl2
Beautiful Ideas for Oak Savanna
Anyone have any ideas of things to add to an Oak Savanna...
Savannagirl
Need shrub suggestion for north side foundation
I have on order 25 encore azaleas that are supposed...
kudzu1965
Beware of mail order scam - House of Wesley
There is a mail order nursery company based in Bloomington,...
chicago90
Sponsored Products
Summer Flowers Copper Art
$595.00 | FRONTGATE
Indian Summer Faux Sunflowers Floral Arrangement - YELLOW
$385.00 | Horchow
Gun Metal Check Metal 14-inch Planter (Set of 2)
Overstock.com
Eangee Mini Square Red Accent Lamp
$56.91 | Lamps Plus
Antique Black Oval Olive Tub
$19.99 | zulily
Limelight Planter
$19.99 | Dot & Bo
Spot Copper Spotlight
$36.00 | Bellacor
John Louis Stand-alone Tower Shelf Standards
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for: