Help with seed starting/transplanting timing?

commgardener11March 6, 2011

I'm trying to come up with a schedule for things like starting seed indoors, succession planting, hardening off, transplanting, etc...

Are there any free "fill in the blank" schedulers out there that y'all like to use?

Is there really a big difference in 2 weeks succession between plants of the same variety vs. starting them at the same time?

Also, is hardening off time typically included in the instructions, "Start indoors 6-8 weeks before last spring frost"?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kelly7278

I'm a newbie so I can't really answer most of your questions, but I came across this article the other day with a helpful seed starting chart.

Here is a link that might be useful: Organic Gardening Seed Starting Chart

Bookmark   March 11, 2011 at 7:18PM
nanagarden(8)

[is hardening off time typically included in the instructions, "Start indoors 6-8 weeks before last spring frost"]
Yes it is.

[Is there really a big difference in 2 weeks succession between plants of the same variety vs. starting them at the same time?]
Yes, if you want a continuous crop of a specific item.

For example, I like fresh spinach and lettuce, if I plant seeds every week or two for 4-6 weeks I will have it available for a longer period of time.

It is really whatever your preference is.

Bookmark   March 12, 2011 at 1:40AM
kfischer103(5)

I found a really nice form with all the "normal" plants for gardening listed it then goes further to show the zones and has a fill it in section for each one to answer when to start and when to harden off and transplant. It is from Mother Earth News and I am going to give it a try this year. I am trying to plant extra to take to my local farmers market and to get that much I need to start alot more seeds! I also want as many of the plants to be heirlooms so I have had my nose in the Baker's seed book everyday for the last few weeks!!! So many choices, it is like being at the candy counter as a kid. LOL The link is below hope it helps someone else.

Happy Gardening

Here is a link that might be useful: Mother Earth News Seed Starting Guide

Bookmark   March 18, 2011 at 5:39PM
More Discussions
Mel's Mix versus 100% Compost
Hello all, I am starting some boxes for growing. I...
bsntech
2nd year of SFG: what to do?
Hi all, 2nd year of SFG. Last year was 3, 4x4 beds....
Anthony
Raised kidney shaped garden
I have a kidney shaped raised garden that I have planted...
charlieboring
Garlic crop rotating?
I started a bed 4'x6' last full of garlic. I was a...
disneynut1977
Safe insecticide: Olive Oil, Dish Soap, Water
I'm going to try a safe insecticide first before going...
travelsfo
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™