to prune or not to prune

LouiesGarden14January 19, 2013

I have 3 young fruit trees I planted in March of last year. An apple, nectarine, and a plum. They all have done very well, but now are dormant. My question is a two part. One, is it too soon to prune these trees, should I wait until they get a little older? If it's not too soon, how should I prune them? Any and all suggestions are appreciated. Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
LouiesGarden14

Nectarine tree

Bookmark   January 19, 2013 at 7:53PM
LouiesGarden14

Plum tree

Bookmark   January 19, 2013 at 7:54PM
weldontx(z 8a TX)

'I See you've had no responses. Too bad. From what I can see the trees need what I call "clean up " pruning. Nothing major, just take out crossing limbs, crowded, downward growing, and sucker limbs. I learned something this year about my young apples that I planted late last winter. Apples produce better on horizontal growth than on vertical growth. Google limb spreaders and read the info that you find there. Do you have an apple that does not need a pollinator? If not, a second apple of a different variety will increase yield. Check with someone to find out which variety is a better pollinator for the one that you have. Good luck... Successful pruning.

Bookmark   February 2, 2013 at 6:17PM
lgteacher(SCal)

The pruning recommendations are not the same for all fruit trees. Yes, you should prune to control the shape of the tree. For specific information, try the Dave Wilson Nursery website. They have a wealth of information about growing fruit trees.

Bookmark   February 4, 2013 at 4:14PM
More Discussions
If anyone's growing Black Sapote, Tejocote, or Copao...
I am interested in seeds or small rooted cuttings. I...
ansarac
large cactus and yuccas hardy in Idaho
I just planted 25 Yucca faxoniana that are 15' tall...
matsukaze
West Texas Grape Tomato Hybrids/Varieties?
I moved to the Amarillo area a little over 2 years...
Breeder_Ben
Anyone out there have a joshua tree?
I have been trying to find some information on joshua...
kazooie
Can you identify this worm thing?
Cross posting, to reach as many as possible who might...
ernie85017
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™