to 'lazy' gardeners like me living in my zone

cicadidaeAugust 20, 2006

We just moved here and have this huge front and back yard. I have always been what I call a "lazy" gardener. I like plants that flower prolifically over a nice long period of time. If they get really big its even better. If they don't need to be babied, I'm happy (I mean I water and weed and such but don't have time to coddle plants).

The soil is clay and moist. Anything that doesn't like moisture kind of drowns it seems. I see that my neighbors have crepe myrtle, lavatera (rose mallow?), and marigolds. Crysanthemums grow well but don't like the rain in their faces much.

I've done bogs before so know that siberian iris, crocosmia, some daylilies, and joe pye weed work well but am looking for that special plant that just goes nuts with flowers...like the lavatera.

Any suggestions?

TIA

Karen

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
esh_ga

Are you wanting annuals, perennials, shrubs or trees? Or some of everything?

Bookmark   August 20, 2006 at 1:50PM
cicadidae

everything but annuals please.

Bookmark   August 20, 2006 at 5:33PM
lindakimy

Shade or full sun?

I gardened in a bog over in Columbia, SC, for about 8 years. I had great results with hostas, swamp hibiscus, clethra, river birch, elephant ears, tree ivy, kerria, and (shock) black eyed susies! I also grew very lush ferns, impatiens and coleus (sorry, those are annuals), hydrangea, loropetalum, and st. john's wort (it's a beautiful plant!). But that was mostly in a fairly shady area. I'm not sure what (except for the hydrangea) grows in wet, sunny places.

Bookmark   August 20, 2006 at 10:30PM
sugarhill(7)

Hibiscus likes moist sunny sites. Ligularia, if it gets afternoon shade. Ruellia. Florida anise (tree). Can't think of anything else off hand.

Bookmark   August 20, 2006 at 10:45PM
cicadidae

The front yard has lots of sun and a bit less moisture. The back yard has both shade and sun and more moisture.
Can't wait to check out all of these plants you have suggested!
THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
karen

Bookmark   August 21, 2006 at 11:24AM
carex(USDA zone 8a)

If its moist enough in your back yard try Lobelias they are hard to beat.

Bookmark   August 30, 2006 at 1:30PM
jimandrenee

We are in Greenville SC and have had wonderful luck with lantana...it's drought tolerant and can handle clay soil. We have a few of the sun lantana that are almost 5' tall and about 8' wide. These plants require zero maintenance other than cutting back the dead wood in the winter before spring growth. Easiest plant I have ever dealt with! Comes in tons of colors and varieties, plant away!

Bookmark   September 8, 2006 at 5:52PM
joydveenc7(7a)

Maybe you can grow some of the things that seem to do best in PNW, like lewisia, lupines, geum, astrantia. (I'm always dealing with clay and drought it seems in Piedmont NC.) How about obedient plant, turtleheads, and for shade anemones, astilbe, lily of the valley? I've heard obedient plant can be a thug if it's too happy.

Becky

Bookmark   September 24, 2006 at 9:39PM
mamcc(z7/8 NC)

turtleheads are great in moist partial shade areas. Also butterfly ginger and cannas will be fantastic - both have great flowers and the ginger smells heavenly.

Bookmark   October 2, 2006 at 1:04AM
More Discussions
Epsom salt on plants
I heard that Epsom salts are good for plants and vegatables....
angel123
Edgeworthia chrysantha
Hello, I have recently bought and planted a Edgeworthia...
sfcrumley
Leggy Aspidistra
I have large Aspidistras that sat for several years...
pbatlanta1
Identifying Mushrooms On Oak Log
We have some creamy colored disc type mushrooms growing...
Savannagirl
Beautiful Ideas for Oak Savanna
Anyone have any ideas of things to add to an Oak Savanna...
Savannagirl
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™