Identify crepe mrytle

tcason2August 3, 2013

Im pretty sure this is a Catawba crepe, it has sort of glossy leaves. But it does have a certain pink look to it, more so than purple. Any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tcason2

another

Bookmark   August 3, 2013 at 2:13PM
tcason2

1 more

Bookmark   August 3, 2013 at 2:16PM
love_the_yard(z9A Jax FL)

Are you suggesting that all three trees are the same cultivar? Or are you asking the name of each?

Bookmark   August 6, 2013 at 11:27PM
mauvegirl8(Texas)

maybe Osage

Bookmark   August 10, 2013 at 12:17AM
tcason2

they are all from the same place and have the same features. So my guess would be that they are all the same cultivar

Bookmark   August 10, 2013 at 10:38AM
JawjaPeach(7)

This is a common Crepe. I see them everywhere. Can't say but I have one growing in my front yard. I wanted a light lavender and got this instead. So the name I was given at ordering time was incorrect. Why don't you take your pics to a nursery that can possibly identify it and sells them or can order one for you. And if you get a light lavender instead, I'll trade you. LOL....

Guessing that's why you want to know.

Sorry, it's the best I can offer.

Bookmark   August 30, 2013 at 8:42AM
plan9fromposhmadison(8A Madison Mississippi)

Given the vigor of the plant, and the fact that the color isn't photographing well, I'm going to guess it's Muskogee.

Muskogee's color is described as a 'lavender pink', or 'lavender'. To me, it's a dusty Orchid. Looks pink in sunshine, but in more pleasant lighting (dusk, stormy weather....) the color is more lavender. I had an art teacher who called colors like that "fleeting". Fleeting colors are actually very valuable in the landscape, because they tend to blend with other colors extremely well.

In my opinion, Muskogee is the very best of all the Crape Myrtles. It stays in bloom longer than almost any other Myrtle, too. I think it has the prettiest 'architecture' of any variety (assuming it hasn't been 'murdered', as were the poor specimens in your photos), and the most sensuous trunks.

Be aware that Muskogee is one of the larger varieties. If you don't want a big tree, then there are other Crapes in other shapes and sizes (including weeping dwarfs, which give the effect of Bouganvillea !!!!). Here's the index to which I refer, when choosing: http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/databases/crapemyrtle/crape_myrtle_varieties.html Everything you need to know (including fall foliage and mildew resistance). In case the link can't be made to work, I entered ' Texas A&M Crape Myrtle ' and the search engine took me right to it.

Bookmark   September 15, 2013 at 5:55PM
More Discussions
Home soil testing kits
Are there any good ones out there?.
420benz
Myrtle won't bloom
I have a couple of crape myrtles in my yard that won't...
gregnga
Sugar Cane
Is there a preferred time of year in planting it? What,...
greenepastures
Identifying Mushrooms On Oak Log
We have some creamy colored disc type mushrooms growing...
Savannagirl
How to care for new sod - Hibernation
Hello, As of this second, I have a team of people putting...
thom71gt
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™