Problem with Marigolds

nana7(z7 AR)August 10, 2006

I've always grown marigolds in my garden. However, this year I have lost every one of them. This morning I began pulling them up and took a pair of scissors and started cutting the stems in search of a clue to my problem. All the stem were hollow, and when I'd find one that still had some green in the stem next to the root I'd find a worm. There is a tiny hole in all the stems that probably served as an entry way. I have been hunting for answers on the internet and there doesn't appear to be hardly any problems with Marigolds.

If anyone can shed some light on this, as to where I could have gotten it or how to prevent it in the future, any information is appreciated. I plant in containers and I used new soiless medium.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rivers1202(Z8a South Carolina)

I don't know what they are but it sounds like what my mother and I have had in our gardens this year. Are they tiny worms that are an off-white color? I discovered something similar in my garden this year but it didn't attack my marigolds -- they liked my dusty miller, though, and killed all 3 plants. My mother had those little worms in her garden and they killed her glory bower.

It starts with the plants drooping, as with a lack of water...watering them temporarily perks them up, but they quickly wilt again and get to the point where no amount of watering perks them up. Soooo, you finally start digging around, looking for the source of the problem, pull on the stems a bit and the entire plant easily pops right outta the ground, which is where we've found the worms...in the ground directly around the plants, and in the stems.

Sorry to ramble on like this, since I don't have a clue what those worms are. Have you tried the pests & diseases forum?

Renee

Bookmark   August 21, 2006 at 3:09PM
smurfboy

I've had problems with slugs eating mine. In WV slugs and japanese beetles are the only problem I have with outdoor gardening.

Bookmark   November 16, 2006 at 12:52PM
Moxiecola_comcast_net

I am having the same issue right now with my marigolds as well as osteospermum in the same flower box. These worms are light beige striped and they are fairly small. They have bore a hole in every bud on the marigolds. On the osteospermum they have spun a web around all the petals encasing themselves inside the blooming flower. I have never had this pest before and would love to know what it is and how to deal with it!

Bookmark   August 13, 2009 at 4:18PM
More Discussions
mimosa pruning
I was given a 1 yr old potted mimosa and planted in...
Diane_Warneke
desert rose
Can anyone tell me how to care for a desert rose? My...
margyrose
Leland Cypress screen planting?
I want to plant a Leland Cypress privacy screen. There...
wendyb_2007
Edgeworthia chrysantha
Hello, I have recently bought and planted a Edgeworthia...
sfcrumley
Leggy Aspidistra
I have large Aspidistras that sat for several years...
pbatlanta1
Sponsored Products
Coastal Shower Doors Shower Enclosures Paragon Series 29 in. x 66 in. Framed
Home Depot
Bonide Gal Wilt Stop Conc Plant Protector
Overstock.com
Tan & Espresso Waterproof Seat Cover
$24.99 | zulily
Rainwater HOG Harvesting System - RAINWATER HOG AND CONNECTOR KIT
$341.00 | Hayneedle
Educational Insights Multiplication Slam - EI-8477
$45.99 | Hayneedle