I'm interested in scuppernong, muscadine

huckoshimAugust 22, 2013

I understand that these grapes are famous, in the south, so have come to Southern Gardening to ask for them.

The least I can do is cover shipping for vines, plantlets, or seeds of Vitus rotundifolia and other grape varieties.

If you have a trade list, I will respond in kind, with anything, which may be in season.

Thanks for reading.

(Same username on yahoo.)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zzackey(8b GA)

I can send you cuttings of both for a large SASBE.

Bookmark   August 22, 2013 at 7:58PM
huckoshim

Thank you very much, zackey.

Could you guesstimate the correct postage, between your place and southern California? ( 92223 )

Bookmark   August 23, 2013 at 11:34AM
zzackey(8b GA)

I got your package today. I won't need all of the stamps that you sent. I will fill the envelope and return whatever postage I don't need.

Bookmark   August 29, 2013 at 8:06PM
zzackey(8b GA)

I sent your cuttings yesterday and one of each grapes. Hopefully you will be able to taste them. Very different flavors.

Bookmark   September 4, 2013 at 5:26PM
huckoshim

Hi, Zackey.

I just got them a few minutes ago and wanted to answer a questions you had in your letter.

The inside of the package was very moist. So, I planted them straight in the shade, without soaking.

With the thicker stemmed varieties, I have luck, just planting the nodes. Since this kind has more slender stems, I kept them intact, straight up and down, with just the top leaves showing.

I wasn't able to taste your samples, because they became alcoholic, on the way here. I was able to show my family how they look and salvage the seeds.

Most people know things like pruning spurs down to the second and third node, every year, but not why the grapes come out different than the ones from the store. I'm ttaking the time to learn how it's done on farms and coming up with new ideas of my own.

I wasn't worried that the leaves had started to go into dormancy for the year.

I do not typically water when the plant is showing no heat stress or when the plant is not in fruit, although it is sometimes very dry, here. I find that very slow watering of fruiting vines makes the grapes big without splitting them.

Bookmark   September 10, 2013 at 8:51PM
huckoshim

Thank you very much for reading. I will be signing off, for now.

Webmasters, please add an account deletion option.

Bookmark   November 12, 2013 at 7:22PM
More Discussions
Windbreak, Privacy Screen, City Lot, Wet Feet
Hello - I need some ideas for what to do along the...
Tryska D
Leggy Aspidistra
I have large Aspidistras that sat for several years...
pbatlanta1
Price of Long Needle Pine Straw in Your Area?
Last week we had our annual pine straw mulch refresh....
kswl2
Beautiful Ideas for Oak Savanna
Anyone have any ideas of things to add to an Oak Savanna...
Savannagirl
Pandanaceae
Hi there, I was in Rarotonga recently in the tropical...
Basic_Biology
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™