Snake ID for Wayne??

DISSmith(z8b SC)August 6, 2006

I live 'bout 20 miles inland from Charleston, SC. Twice this summer I have seen a orangey-brown snake in the pine straw (with a bit a leaf litter) along the foundation of my house. They are about 4 ft long, medium thickness, no distinct pattern, and they ran away too fast to see what shape the head was or to photograph. Both times they ran under the porch. I don't really care what it actually is, long as it's not dangerous to my Scottish Terrier, who wouldn't have the sense to stay away!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wayne_mo(MO)

The color, size and speed, sound a lot like an Eastern Coachwhip Snake (which is harmless). Usually Eastern Coachwhips on the east coast are darker by the head than the tail and are orangey-tan over anywhere from 2/3 to most of their body.

By the description that would be my guess. If you do get a picture (it doesn't have to be high quality or a close-up) I can confirm that for sure. In any rate, it doesn't sound like anything venomous or dangerous to a Scottish Terrier.

Bookmark   August 7, 2006 at 11:50AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
DISSmith(z8b SC)

I looked it up in some Google images and if there are times when the darker color toward the head is not so noticeable, then that must be what it was. (My getting a photo is unlikely since I tend to not think clearly when I encounter a snake. ;> )
Thanks Wayne!

Bookmark   August 7, 2006 at 1:51PM
More Discussions
Leggy Aspidistra
I have large Aspidistras that sat for several years...
pbatlanta1
Fine garden April issue, no southeast pics
Why not? Steve aitken Why no southeast pics?
josephene_gw
privacy screen HELP!
My lovely country/cottage garden style yard and porch...
inbloominalabama
invasion of something on my coleus
I have 18 coleus in pots They have been great but......
optiwench
Epsom salt on plants
I heard that Epsom salts are good for plants and vegatables....
angel123
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™