Added on to SFG!

keski(6)March 25, 2010

Woo Hoo! DH added 48 additional sq. ft. to my previous 48 sq. ft. According to Mel, this should be enough for two people. I'm not sure how much of each crop I need to plant. Last year I planted one sq of peas and it didn't make enough to make more than one serving at a tiem, so I know I need at least two of peas and beans. How many tomato plants, peppers, broccoli? I'm thinking of 6-8 tomatoes and 6-10 peppers. I have at least 8 broccoli started under lights. Any advice?

Keski

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
momstar(5)

Try looking here

http://gardening.about.com/od/vegetable1/a/How-Much-Plant.htm

There is a link at the bottom of the first page that takes you to a chart. The chart shows recommendations for each plant for a family of 4.

Obviously how much to plant depends on whether you are just wanting to eat fresh or if you want to preserve some of the vegetables.

When the chart says a 10' row, figure the plant spacing and that will tell you how many plants you need.

Example. The chart recommends 10' row of carrots. Typical "row" spacing for carrots is 2".

10 foot row = 120 inches
120 inches divided by 2" row spacing is 60 plants
60 plants divided by 16 per square in sfg spacing is 3.75 squres.

So for a family of 4, the recommendation for carrots is 3.75 squares (60 carrot plants).

I hope this makes sense and is helpful. Reading back over it reminds me of math story problems. I'm bored, maybe I'll take the chart and work an excel program to figure all the squares out. Hmmm, I may have to do that.

Bookmark   March 25, 2010 at 11:28AM
castoral

Wow Momstar! That is an awesome link. I actually asked a similar question on the vegetable forum and they really could only give me a estimate. This website helps a ton, especially once you showed how to do the math and convert is to "sq ft garden terms!" Thank you so much!

Bookmark   March 25, 2010 at 3:45PM
keski(6)

Thanks, momstar. I went right to the site and got what I needed. BTW, I now teach students math in high school. You are so right about the word problems.
Keski

Bookmark   March 26, 2010 at 10:06AM
More Discussions
Lateral space for dripline irrigation in square foot garden?
Hello! I'm pretty new to square foot gardening and...
poppenschmaltz
Filling my raised bed
Ok, I'm new to gardening but am planning on constructing...
Matt Cauwels
What should I use to fill my raised beds?
I'm going to be making some raised beds in my backyard...
hazeldazel
Vermiculite Source List - Throughout USA
I had a hard time finding vermiculite, so I have compiled...
angela12345
How deep does a raised bed need to be?
I'm new to SFG and was wondering if the depth of the...
pinkkpearls
Sponsored Products
Mini Tartlet Baking Pan
$14.99 | zulily
Westbrook Polished Chrome Plug-In Swing Arm Wall Lamp
Lamps Plus
Monogram Correspondence Cards
$24.00 | Horchow
Add-on Trak - 12"
Signature Hardware
Parker House - Thor Dual Reclining Loveseat - PAH-MTHO-822-TO
Great Furniture Deal
Patio Living Concepts Outdoor Lighting. San Juan 34 in. Bisque Outdoor Table Lam
Home Depot
Joseph 22-Inch Orange Sunburst Decorative Pillows, Set of 2
$100.95 | Bellacor
Designers Fountain 84384 Fieldhouse 4 Light Chandelier in Flemish Bronze Finish
$315.50 | Hayneedle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™