desert rose (adenium obesum)

carol_alexFebruary 10, 2005

HI EVERYONE I LIVE IN ZO. 5 BUT HAVE A BEAUTIFUL DESERT ROSE, IN THE HOUSE FOR ABOUT SEVEN MONTHS A YEAR. BLOOMS FOR ABOUT ONE MONTH IN AUGUST, I KNOW THAT THIS IS A SUCCLENT AND IN THE BONSAI FAMILY. IT HAS NEVER BEEN PRUNED AND GOWING KIND OF WILD. I WOULD LIKE TO PRUNE THE PLANT THIS SPRING WHEN IT GOES OUTSIDE, HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT THE PLANT BLEEDS VERY EASY AND COULD DIE IF NOT CAREFUL.I WOULD ALSO LIKE TO START SOME NEW PLANTS IF POSSIBLE. THANKS FOR ANY HELP. ""GARDENWEB IS THE BEST SITE I HAVE FOUND FOR HELP LOVE COMING HERE"" THANK YOU SO MUCH.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ankraras(8/9AZ)

Hi;- Glad to hear that you like coming to visit the Forum,Welcome!

I am amazed with nature and love reading other comments about growing the same plant in different climate zones.
My Desert Rose normally sends out flowers before the leaves start to emerge in spring. Adenium's prodigious main
trunk and fat stems make it a very highly desired succulent which lends itself to Bonsai culture.

In my humble opinion, you have selected the appropriate time to trim the plant. If, for some reason a branch or two
is aggressively growing out of line, I will selectively trim hard those branches and no more. In case of a light trim of
the entire plant, ie, 1-7 leave nodes, the plant appears to adapt itself well to this method. I would also add, have a
spray water bottle ready and immediately generously mist the entirely plant after pruning. This will stop the bleeding
and help seal the flesh wound/cut as well.

Cuts pieces can be propagated by letting them dry for a few days, aid with rooting hormone and plant in a well
drained mix. Pure pumice works quite well for me.

May I suggest that the next time you post please unlock the caps.

Good Growing!

Ankrara's Hobby Corner

Bookmark   February 12, 2005 at 4:41PM
More Discussions
help..summer coming too fast
This is a strange problem. This winter has been so...
katied55791
Myoporum Parvifolium
Help me please! I am new to this! I live in Southern...
kinkers
Creosote near Isleta/Albuquerque
Just thought I'd throw this out there. Recently I drove...
cactus_dude
Red rock used for desert landscaping, how hot??
I live in an HOA with lovely natural desert dirt and...
casseybug
when to start
Hi, When are folks starting some seeds indoors? What...
rvsunn
Sponsored Products
Sahara Desert Printed Cotton Curtain Panel
Overstock.com
Varaluz | Argyle 1 Light Wall Sconce
$199.00 | YLighting
Desert Sunrise Rug
$80.99 | Dot & Bo
Hand-tufted Black Contemporary Circles Vasily Wool Geometric Rug (6' Round)
Overstock.com
Area Rug: Chatrapati Desert Sage 9' 6" x 13' 6"
Home Depot
Runner Rug: Chatrapati Desert Sage Semi-Worsted 2' 6" x 8'
Home Depot
Palm Springs Block Sculpted Hand Towel - TURQUOISE (16X30)
$18.00 | Horchow
Scheherazade 12-Light Pendant in Aged Dark Bronze Finish and Hand Blown Glass in
Bellacor
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™