xeric shrub (morning sun)

adp_abq(7b NM)February 24, 2005

I need a xeric shrub that will get morning sun. The location is in the SE side of my house. I was thinking of either apache plume or desert honeysuckle (anisacanthus thurberi). From what I've read apache plume needs full sun. Is this the case? Any other suggestions? Native southwest plants preffered.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ShelleyinNM(SW NM)

I have some on the East side. Get no afternoon sun at all.
They do fine.

Gotta be careful with them. They sucker, they seed and they want to make a tangled mess like winter jasmine. I have mine at bay, but it's a chore. If you have enough room for them to do their own thing...I'd say about 8' square for each plant, they're great. Flowers or plumes all summer long.

Bookmark   February 24, 2005 at 4:56PM
mesquiteent(z6b WestTX)

Autumn sage (Salvia greggii) is a small shrub that can take some shade, and is native to Texas. Doesn't need much water once established, either.

Bookmark   March 15, 2005 at 2:29PM
Xtal(z8b Temple. TX)

Hi,

You've probably already bought your shrub by now. I'm very pleased with the two Cenizas that I've planted on the SE side of the house. There's also the benefit of it blooming whenever it rains, too.

Good luck,
Xtal

Bookmark   March 19, 2005 at 2:09PM
melinda_m(7B)

I am looking for seeds for the Anisacanthus wrightii which is a recommended xeric plant for the coastal North Carolina area. Does anyone have a lead on reputable seed supplier. I would consider a nursery but most are out of state and most are very costly.
Any help in locating any of the anisacanthus family would be most helpful.
thanks much

Bookmark   February 12, 2008 at 9:45AM
jfr1107(ABQ z7 and denial)

I have grown Anisicanthus wrightii, aka, flame acanthus, in Austin, where it is almost a weed. It does set seed, but I think it is not the right timing to get some now, but I can check with friends and/or the next time I go there.

Has anyone grown A. thurberi around ABQ? I have never seen it around here, but am intrigued that it may do well here. I get the Anisicanthus genus confused - is it very similar to A. wrightii? I know there is another one that is not supposed to be hardy here, A. californica?

Thanks.
John R.

Bookmark   February 16, 2008 at 8:41AM
More Discussions
Help get rid of Scorpions - have dogs
Help!!. My friend has a new wooden house in the South....
Natilie70
Little white worms in my compost
These little guys are spread throughout my organic...
SweetShef
when to start
Hi, When are folks starting some seeds indoors? What...
rvsunn
Growing yucca from seed
I'm not sure where to post this--someone will probably...
cocomo49
Red rock used for desert landscaping, how hot??
I live in an HOA with lovely natural desert dirt and...
casseybug
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™