Something to kill tree suckers

amyta(z8 mid GA)August 21, 2005

I saw on the internet a company that sells a product that kills the suckers that come from tree roots. I lost the information and now I want to order it. It was about $30. Can anyone help?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Logfrog

do you mean suckers that are coming up from the roots of a tree that has been cut down? Or do you mean the suckers that come up from the roots of the living tree that you want to keep?
Froggy

Bookmark   August 21, 2005 at 10:44PM
amyta(z8 mid GA)

I mean on a tree that was cut down. I am doing a flower bed there and this is driving me nuts.

Bookmark   August 22, 2005 at 10:26AM
Logfrog

As long as there is energy in the roots, it's going to try to send up suckers. We have used Weed-B-Gon mixed double strength with good results. If you keep the sprouts popped off as soon as you see them and spray the stump, you should see them gone before next spring.
I'm sorry I can't help you on the web site that you want. Good luck, stumps can be a pain!
Froggy

Bookmark   August 24, 2005 at 10:37AM
amyta(z8 mid GA)

Thanks, Froggy. You really have been a help!
Amy

Bookmark   August 24, 2005 at 10:57AM
Bumblebeez SC Zone 7

There are products out there...and I used to know some of the names but not anymore. they are primarily used commercially to keep trees looking nice without manpower.

I want to say Tree Hold? But I do know exactly what you are talking about.

Bookmark   August 24, 2005 at 1:50PM
gw:tree-mend-us

I'm trying to find something that will stop and/or kill suckers on trees I want to keep. Any help out there?

Bookmark   March 16, 2006 at 8:54PM
amyta(z8 mid GA)

I finally found the product! It's called "Sucker-Stopper RTU" and is available from montereylawngarden.com out in Fresno, CA. It's about $30 and can be used on living trees that you want to keep. Check the website and see if it can be purchased locally in your location. I had to order by mail for mine. Hope this helps.

Bookmark   March 18, 2006 at 3:30PM
gunksny_yahoo_com

I would like to stop sucker growth both on the trunks and roots of living trees.

ANyone know of a good remedy?

Does Sucker-Stopper RTU really work?

thanks!

Bookmark   June 26, 2008 at 1:49PM
amyta(z8 mid GA)

"Sucker Stopper" works better than without but nothing is a miracle worker. I've only used it on the tree trunks. Worked really well on a river birch and not as well on another tree.
Some trees, like Bradford pear, just are horrible about the roots.

Bookmark   June 26, 2008 at 2:12PM
tsmith2579(7B)

Amyta, find the larger roots which are the remains of the tree and remove some dirt from around them. Use a drill and use a paddle or spade bit. Drill into the root, do not drill through, just drill out a wide hole. Fill the hole up with Round-up BRUSH concentrate. It will spread throughout the root system and kill them all. Thus ends your sprouting problem.

Bookmark   June 29, 2008 at 12:50AM
jqpublic(7b/8a Wake County NC)

Perhaps just continually plucking them out may help too. Don't let them get too large as they will store more energy in the roots.

Bookmark   July 7, 2008 at 2:39AM
donnabaskets(Zone 8a, Central MS)

I have had excellent results with Green Light Stump and Vine killer. The trick is to put it on immediately after you cut the tree. I would try cutting the suckers and treating them with this poison, or if possible, recut the stump and then treat it.

Bookmark   July 8, 2008 at 11:02AM
joycehansen_comcast_net

I have 4 beautiful flowering pear trees. Two of them keep sending up sprouts from the roots and the other two don't. Do you know how this can happen? They were planted in 2004 and seem identical otherwise.

Bookmark   June 18, 2011 at 6:30PM
jkennard2

Is there something that can kill crabpple tree suckers without harming the tree? Thanks

Bookmark   June 25, 2011 at 12:02PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Consistent pruning, done shortly after the suckers begin to grow, does the trick.

Bookmark   June 26, 2011 at 3:35AM
minell_comcast_net

After cutting off the suckers, could I use prunning sealer? Would that stop them from comming back?

Bookmark   June 29, 2011 at 5:48PM
More Discussions
Home soil testing kits
Are there any good ones out there?.
420benz
Sugar Cane
Is there a preferred time of year in planting it? What,...
greenepastures
New home privacy landscaping ideas?
We are building a house in Tallahassee and need suggestions...
memorr
Crepe Myrtle in the ICU
Hi folks, This crepe myrtle came from the builder when...
rwiki
Need shrub suggestion for north side foundation
I have on order 25 encore azaleas that are supposed...
kudzu1965
Sponsored Products
6-foot Ficus Tree and Bamboo Planter
Overstock.com
Birds On The Tree Antique Metal Base Tiffany Home Table Lamp
ParrotUncle
Area Rug: Palace Treasures Chocolate 3' 6" x 5' 6"
Home Depot
AndTradition | Trash Me Table Lamp
$125.00 | YLighting
Palm Tree Martini Glasses
Classic Hostess
Dionyx Stainless Steel One-Light Crystal Swarovski Elements Table Lamp, 8W x 19.
Bellacor
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™