What can be used for row covers?

southerngardengal(z7bMS)August 7, 2005

I have a large amount of cheese cloth that I bought a couple of years ago. I needed about 8 yards but misfigured the amount by about twenty yards...:0(

I want to plant some lettuces, mustard, carrots, turnip greens, kale etc, etc, etc and am wondering if the cheese cloth would work as a row cover to keep the bugs that love to devour fall veggies away? Will buy some row cover if you all don't think the cheese cloth will work but if it will work will save my $5.00 (LOL) and use what I already have...Thank you for your help.

Jan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jim2k(mississippi)

I don't see why it would not work as well as thing.You know the only thing you can do is try. Good luck Jim

Bookmark   August 8, 2005 at 2:15PM
southerngardengal(z7bMS)

Thanks Jim. I am gonna try it. Can figure what else to to do with twenty yards of cheese cloth. :0)

Bookmark   August 8, 2005 at 5:08PM
HanArt(8b)

I don't think the weave is tight enough on cheesecloth to keep bugs out. Good luck.

Bookmark   August 8, 2005 at 6:11PM
woodsworm(7a NC)

Southerngardengal, do you have any sunflowers? If you do, the cheesecloth mesh might be fine enough to keep out birds while the seeds mature (tie squares around the heads). Just a thought.

Bookmark   August 8, 2005 at 10:26PM
southerngardengal(z7bMS)

Thank you all for the responses. I was thinking the weave might be too loose but wanted a second opinion...LOL.

WoodWorm, I didn't plant sunflowers this year. This is the first year that I haven't had sunflowers in a long while. I will keep your hint in mind though so when I do have sunflowers again I will know how to keep some of the seeds until winter feeding time for the birds.

Bookmark   August 11, 2005 at 8:47PM
sweetannie4u(midOK_z6b/7a)

Before floating row covers, there was cheescloth and burlap sacks, darling. It is what my mother still uses, and what my Grannie used in her day.

I even use old white cotton bed linens.
Do not use sheets in blues or yellows, though, as insects are attracted to those colors and will hop on the cover and then find what's beneath it!

I use cheesecloth and it works fine and dandy.

Bookmark   August 21, 2005 at 12:39PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

The good thing about the commerical product manufactured for this purpose is that it lets the maximum amount of light in, but keeps out the maximum amount of critters! Good air flow, rain penetration, won't rot or mildew, etc.

Bookmark   August 22, 2005 at 11:08AM
sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

The cheesecloth should work well. I also use old sheets. I have found that old matteress covers (the thin white ones) work really well and are breathable. These also work great for short frosts. You can cut off the elastic on the corners to make them more flat, or if you want to cover one large shrub or rose (etc)you can leave the elastic intact to get a more form-fitting cover.

Bookmark   August 24, 2005 at 11:33AM
brettlee65_yahoo_com

Cheesecloth is more natural - cotton. Plants are natural and they like natural things and do not like synthetic materials or the chemicals that outgas from them. The typical white cover you see sold in gardening stores is made of the same stuff that came out of the well in the gulf - petroleum!
I have found that cheesecloth comes in different weaves or grades. I'm going to try the #40 which is about 20 * 24 strands of fiber per square inch. To let more light in you may want to use the #10. To allow less bugs in use a tighter weave. Regardless, I an going to use all natural cheezecloth material.
Brett

Bookmark   February 19, 2011 at 4:23PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

I'm interested in the theory that plants like 'natural' materials.

Bookmark   February 22, 2011 at 10:20PM
More Discussions
Edgeworthia chrysantha
Hello, I have recently bought and planted a Edgeworthia...
sfcrumley
Crepe Myrtle in the ICU
Hi folks, This crepe myrtle came from the builder when...
rwiki
Myrtle won't bloom
I have a couple of crape myrtles in my yard that won't...
gregnga
desert rose
Can anyone tell me how to care for a desert rose? My...
margyrose
Leggy Aspidistra
I have large Aspidistras that sat for several years...
pbatlanta1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™