Drought Tolerant Turf Replacement

richardnewcombFebruary 28, 2007

I plan to replace approx 4000sf of established bluegrass turf with drought tolerant grass. My research to date indicates that Sodar Streambank Wheatgrass would be a good choice for my location (Pocatello, ID, 4,450ft, 10" - 15" rain). I plan to use roundup, rototill, add nitrogen, and seed my first 1000sf plot this spring. If that goes well the remainder will be converted next year. I also have 4 acres of native hilly terrain currently populated with sagebrush, some type of bunch grass, lots of thistles and a wide variety of other weeds that I hope to work on over time.

Advice/suggestions would be welcome.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
adp_abq(7b NM)

Good choice on seed for your area. Don't rototil. You'll just bring up weed seed and a bumpy lawn as it settles. If you can, rent a slit seeder and seed your streambank wheatgrass with it. Also if you're planning on using fertilizer to get the seeds going , then something low in nitrogen and higher in phosporus would be better as phosphorus helps establish roots in the seedlings. Fertilizer vendors label it as 'starter fertilizer'.

Bookmark   February 28, 2007 at 2:39PM
More Discussions
Anyone out there have a joshua tree?
I have been trying to find some information on joshua...
kazooie
plant ID
Hi, A friend of mine is trying to identify the plant...
alexander3_gw
Creosote near Isleta/Albuquerque
Just thought I'd throw this out there. Recently I drove...
cactus_dude
the African daizies look great after all that rain last fall
This is the first year there has been something in...
sculptress
1/3 acre on slope elevation 3400
Hi there, We have around 1/3 of an acre with a slight...
ltews
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™