Flowering 6ft high 2 to 4ft Thick Hedge for Coastal San Diego

widmarkFebruary 8, 2014

I am looking to create a privacy screen which will: rise to 6 ft (no less but hopefully not much more either), provide excellent color much of the year via flowers even after pruning, be a moderate to low water user once established, and look good within a somewhat English style garden as opposed to a palm oriented tropical garden or a desert scape. The hedge would be in the coastal San Diego sun virtually all day.

I couldn't find a plant that would do all this and stand on its own, so I am thinking of using a Distictis Buccinatoria or Laxiflora to grow up a wide, 6 ft tall trellis for structure. My theory is the distictis will provide lots of desired flowers without too many being lost to pruning.

I am curious if the laxiflora and/or buccinatoria will be dense enough when grown to fill in and hide the trellis structure... making the plant appear as a 6 ft high hedge. I was also considering the Escallonia but it sounds as if pruning to maintain 6 ft tall and 3 to 4ft thick hedge will knock out virtually all of the blooming.

I would be grateful for any replies... or any attractive alternatives. Sooner is better as I need to get this privacy screen up to make my neighbor happy. : )

Thank you

This post was edited by widmark on Sat, Feb 8, 14 at 21:48

More Discussions
Can you identify this worm thing?
Cross posting, to reach as many as possible who might...
ernie85017, zn 9, phx
large cactus and yuccas hardy in Idaho
I just planted 25 Yucca faxoniana that are 15' tall...
matsukaze
the African daizies look great after all that rain last fall
This is the first year there has been something in...
sculptress
Creosote near Isleta/Albuquerque
Just thought I'd throw this out there. Recently I drove...
cactus_dude
Animal eating lemon peels
Hi, I just found this forum and want to know what animal...
hammerhugger
Sponsored Products
Red Bamboo Circular Vase with Dried Florals (Stand Not Included)
Overstock.com
Roses Tiffany Two Light Floor Lamp
ParrotUncle
Solar-powered Mail Post Light
Grandin Road
Area Rug: Caprice Collection Grass 5' x 5' Round
Home Depot
Genoa Area Rug
FRONTGATE
Decorative Copper Pedestal Planter
Signature Hardware
People viewed this after searching for: