Veggie Garden Sun

dawnasFebruary 9, 2009

Ok, I am sure this is a stupid question but I am a newbie at all of this. I am wanting to start a veggie garden in our yard this spring. For background, I am in Marana, AZ (NW of Tucson) and in Zone 9.

My concern/challenge/question: I have been monitoring the area of the yard where I would like to have the garden and it looks to get only about 4 to 5 hours of direct sun max. This isn't enough, is it? If not, what should I do to supplement the direct sun or is there nothing I can do? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
growingup

Hi, I'm in Marana too, small world. Anyway, it really depends on what you are trying to grow and what time of day it is getting the direct sunlight. If it is veggies, I put them in the spot of my garden where it only gets morning full sun in the summer (the time of the year changes the shadows too btw-what is looking like full sun now might be different come summer). If it gets too much direct sun in the afternoon of our crazy summers, it will burn. So, I'd say my veggie garden does extremely well in about 4-5 hours of direct morning sun a day. The shade starts creeping in about 2pm. Other plants such as roses like the full sun though or they won't bloom. Same with my bougainvillea-after transplanting it in full sun,the blooms went from a pale yellowish green (which I really liked) to a hot pink.

Bookmark   February 9, 2009 at 11:36PM
More Discussions
Anyone had those low litter trees near swimming pool?
I am looking for a evergreen tree to plant near a swimming...
monkeyta123
Myoporum Parvifolium
Help me please! I am new to this! I live in Southern...
kinkers
Can you identify this worm thing?
Cross posting, to reach as many as possible who might...
ernie85017
Quail - gggrrrrrrrr
I am at my wit's end with quail doing a number on my...
eureka
Red rock used for desert landscaping, how hot??
I live in an HOA with lovely natural desert dirt and...
casseybug
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™