where to put trellis ?

nbreauMarch 12, 2009

I'm currently planning my garden setup, which will consist of four 4x8 beds. My question is, if i want to add trellis support for tomatoes, pole beans, etc... along the 8 foot span where exactly on the bed should the trellis go .

ie the beds will be facing south, so if i put the trellis along the 8 foot span on the north side of the box, will it be difficult to reach the veggies in the middle of the trellis without stepping in the bed ? how do most people handle this type of scenario ? I was originally planning on a 2x8 bed for the trellis for reach, but there must be a better way to do this.

thanks,

Nick.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
engineeredgarden(7, nw Alabama)

Nick, if the trellis material has holes in it big enough to get your hand through, you'll be fine.

EG

Bookmark   March 12, 2009 at 11:51AM
ribbit32004

I can't reach to the front of my trellis either. I'm planning, like EG said, to reach from the back to the front.

Bookmark   March 12, 2009 at 4:13PM
snibb(Salt Lake City)

I guess I cant picture this one-can you walk along the north side of the garden? If so, you shouldn't have any trouble at all reaching anything on that support. I like the flexibility metal posts give you when planting tomatoes. You can put the post where ever you want to and dont have to worry about taking up a 4 foot section. This is a picture of tomatoes that have been staggered-each taking up only 1 square foot....

Bookmark   March 14, 2009 at 3:37PM
More Discussions
pine vs cedar for raised bed
I am building 2 4'x8' raised beds. Last year I built...
rersoap
Cold Weather Covers
I made a cover for a 4x4 box going off the instructions...
mtnrunner
How deep does a raised bed need to be?
I'm new to SFG and was wondering if the depth of the...
pinkkpearls
I'd like to try SFG like this....(see pic)
I'd like to try SFG in a 55 gallon drum like the one...
farmless_barn
What should I use to fill my raised beds?
I'm going to be making some raised beds in my backyard...
hazeldazel
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™