Las Cruces nurseries question

cactus_dude(Tucson)March 20, 2006

I'm going to be in Las Cruces next weekend, and I was hoping fellow gardenwebers could recommend some interesting nurseries that sell cacti, palms, native plants, etc. I've been to Guzman's before, but are there any other places? Thanks very much.

cd

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
adp_abq(7b NM)

Cactus Dude:

Don't know about las cruces, but if you don't mind stopping off in T or C, then the Exotic Cactus Ranch is THE place to go.

Bookmark   March 20, 2006 at 1:08PM
faith3nm(z8NM)

Enchanted

Gardens on Avenida de mesilla is a great one!

Bookmark   March 21, 2006 at 3:15PM
SteveNMZ8a(Z8a NM)

Guzmans is ok, they have another new location at old Rowlands site called Color My World. Green Thumb on North Mesquite has some interesting stuff. Enchanted Gardens probably has the best selection of agaves and xerics in town. Gonzales is WAY out on 70 (exit Brahman Road - its on north side of highway) but mostly larger landscaping specimens, like yucca/native cacti.

Bookmark   March 22, 2006 at 9:26PM
cactus_dude(Tucson)

Thanks for the info everyone. I'm definitely planning on stopping in T or C to visit Buffalo Bill's. I really look forward to exploring Enchanted Gardens in LC. I'd never heard of it before.

cd

Bookmark   March 23, 2006 at 12:52PM
quercus_abq(USDA7/Sunset10)

Enchanted Gardens in LC is a great place and their new location (Ave de Mesilla) has a better selection and more room than the last one. Jackeye is very helpful, as well, and she can special order, which is a rare trait. Lots of great regional native plants there.

I also like Sierra Vista in La Union, as they have some interesting plants among the usual Lantana-Rhaphiolepis-Fraxinus blahdom.

Buffalo Bill's Exotic Cactus nursery in T or C has some interesting plants, too, though one might say their customer service is "weak", when they are open, that is. With Spring here, though, the last part might not be an issue, but the first issue is "the way it be".

Bookmark   April 20, 2006 at 9:59AM
cactus_dude(Tucson)

I went to the Enchanted Gardens location on Ave. de Mesilla, which turned out to be right by my motel. It was a pretty nursery with some nice plants, but I must say I was a bit disappointed with their cacti. They had a decent selection, but most of the plants looked sunscorched and/or frost bitten. All in all though, it was a great place, and the people there were friendly and helpful.

cd

Bookmark   April 21, 2006 at 11:00AM
adp_abq(7b NM)

FYI:

Plants of the southwest (on 4th north of osuna) is now selling cacti from rio grande cacti (riogrande-cacti.com). They have a good selection of cold hardy cacti that are native to our state. I picked up the white sands monstrous variety of claret cup hedgehog and a mammillaria wrightii.

Bookmark   April 21, 2006 at 12:22PM
More Discussions
Killing palo verde
I apologize to those of you who cannot grow these....
rodoehoho
Red rock used for desert landscaping, how hot??
I live in an HOA with lovely natural desert dirt and...
casseybug
Animal eating lemon peels
Hi, I just found this forum and want to know what animal...
hammerhugger
1/3 acre on slope elevation 3400
Hi there, We have around 1/3 of an acre with a slight...
ltews
Little white worms in my compost
These little guys are spread throughout my organic...
SweetShef
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™